Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Care allowance

jackie27jackie27 Member Posts: 20 Connected
edited April 2018 in Carer's allowance
I got my pip in November  2018 back dated from July 2016 my son has just put in for care allowance  for me what my chance 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    The Carers Allowance won't be paid to you, it will be paid to your son providing he cares for you for at least 35 hours per week. He doesn't earn more than £120 per week after tax and he's not a full time student. Full time students can't claim Carers Allowance. You must also have a Daily Living award of PIP.

If he's eligible the Carers Allowance can only be back dated for 3 months.

Do you have a partner or do you live alone? What other benefits do you claim alongside the PIP?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • jackie27jackie27 Member Posts: 20 Connected
    No Imy son lives with me and my mum it said on a site he will get back pay if you put in for care allowance  3month before I got pip we went to money matters last August  2017 and they filed in all the form and sent it  away and we never heard anything I went back to money matter and the y said to phone but my son had to claim again
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't understand why he claimed for carers In August last year when your PIP decision wasn't made until the November after that. The reason why they hadn't contacted him was most likely because you weren't claiming a qualifying benefit at the time.

You must claim within 3 months of the PIp decision being awarded for backdated money to be paid to the start of the PIP claim. If that doesn't happen they will only back pay a maximum of 3 months.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • jackie27jackie27 Member Posts: 20 Connected
    I went to a tribruble  on 4 July and won my case got back dated from 1 July  2016 went to law centre and my son claim for care allowance  on August  but I didn't get my back dated payment  till November  he went back to the law centre and they told him to phone care allowance  and he had to put in a new claim 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Jackie, assuming you got either the standard or enhanced daily living component of PIP then your son is entitled.
    Backdating can go back to the date your PIP goes back to (which is 1 July 2016) as long as he claims Carer's Allowance within 3 months of the decision (which will be about the same date as the tribunal, maybe a bit later if they didn't decide on the day).

So yes, this should all work.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.