Mental health issues
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Son autistic and so lonely

angnryanangnryan Member Posts: 47 Connected
edited May 2018 in Mental health issues
Hi, I've an adult autistic son age 28, he was diagnosed at age 24, he also suffers from suicidal ideation and self harms also anxiety and depression, he was home educated from age 13 due to bullying in school and that included a couple of the teachers!! Anyway it's just him and myself and he's so lonely, he's never had a friend due to anxiety around people ,unable make eye contact etc,he had a thirty session course of psychology after diagnosis and has had no help since ,I self referred him to mental health but he was too scared to go and begged me to cancel it which I did ,I'm thinking now that was a mistake because he is extremely depressed, I worry about him because I'm getting older now and my health is bad, I want to see him happy he's such a lovely gentle man, any advice would be great, we live in Wigan area 

Replies

• Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @angnryan
    Thank you for sharing and I am sorry to hear that your son is struggling so much.

It is great that you are accessing mental health support and understandable that this is a frightening thing for your son. Could your son and you go to the GP together to discuss his options and to explain exactly what happens at these sessions?

There is a lot of information and support on the MIND website about depression, self harm and suicide that may be helpful to you and you could also call the samaritans on 116 123 to talk with a trained advisor.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @angnryan
    How are you getting on?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • angnryanangnryan Member Posts: 47 Connected
    Hi ,I got my son another try at one to one psychology counselling, the lady he saw for the triage appointment was lovely and she told him I would be able to be with him at his first few appointments until he gets used to the counsellor, that put him at ease, we are waiting for an appointment to start which they say should be in the next four weeks, it's a small step but at least I know he will get some help, I've looked on the mind website, great info on there, I've also got the numbers for the local crisis team in my phone just in case and the number for a place called the sanctuary which is a 24 hours service, it's in the Wigan area and might be helpful to other people on here so if you would like their details I can give them to you. thanks for asking about my son it means a lot 
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done!
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
Sign in or join us to comment.