Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Carers allowance and Attendance allowance

sunshine22sunshine22 Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, if I claim carers element for my mum who is getting attendance allowance will she still keep her AA I have just put in form for extra in pension credit I know she will lose this as its just for living alone but will AA continue....even with me claiming carers element in universal credit

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi.
    No it won't affect her AA. What it could affect is Severe disability benefit if she claims it and this is £64.30 per week. Does she live alone? If she does then you need to check what she's claiming because that's an awful lot of money for your mum to lose per week.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • sunshine22sunshine22 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes she does live alone and recently received a form from pension credit for extra help severe disability so I presume this is what she would lose if I claimed carers  I have commitments with u.c even though I work  and would not be able to look after her without claiming carers element she has mobility issues and is needing more and more help....but sadly she will lose pension credit extra help but we thought maybe AA too so its good to know she can still keep that.  I have sent the form to claim the severe disability in pension credit for now as she is entitled to it but I need to ring them and ask that it be backdated to her AA award....this can be backdated I am thinking. We as a family are helping but think it wont be too long before she needs someone there a lot more.

Jas x
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi sunshine22,

The severe disability premium can be backdated back to when the AA was awarded from, as long as she was getting Pension Credit during the whole period in question. And just to confirm, you claiming any carer's element will not affect her AA.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.