Mental health issues
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

fighting for my PIP and I'm a bit confused about my mental health conditions

SystemSystem Posts: 489 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi I'm Rebecca ask me questions about Mental Health.

Replies

• WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 918 Pioneering
    RebeccaMHadvisor

Probably a weird question, but I'm fighting for my PIP and I'm a bit confused about my mental health conditions. I used to have long (weeks to many months) severe depressions and fairly constant anxiety which increased when I was under stress. Since becoming physically disabled and going through several traumatic events, my depression and anxiety have changed. For the past 7? years, my baseline level has been depressed, but somewhat functional (I can wash, dress, eat, etc.) but I'm rarely at baseline. I'll have a few hours of severe depression, then a day of being at baseline, then 4 days of severe depression, then 2 days of massive anxiety, a few hours of baseline, then 2 days of both bad depression and bad anxiety, etc. Is this normal for someone with Major Depressive Disorder (clinical depression) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder?

I was diagnosed with Borderline PD about 7 years ago (at the age of 35), but
    I've never really felt that I fit into the BPD diagnosis, despite being in a BPD outpatient service for years. My pain psychologist, psychiatrist, counselor, and group therapy facilitator all agree with me that Complex PTSD is a much better match. Who knows, maybe I have both! Dunno if that's relevant.

Is my current experience of depression/anxiety normal? If not, might it be because of BPD/C-PTSD? My assessor wrote that my description of my mental illnesses was "suspicious" (but he was a paramedic). Am I weird?

Oh, and I've been assessed for bipolar twice, but don't have it.

Thanks!

Waylay
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    @Waylay
    Your rollercoaster of depression, anxiety and various degrees sounds a bit like me.
    Can vary from hour to hour.
    So I don’t think your weird at all, I thought I was the only one like this, find it hard to put it into words like you have marvellously.
    The only diagnosis Iv had is social anxiety and severe depression but I’m i to think it’s more PTSD. Not sure how it’s diagnosed, I’m waiting on CPN , Psychologist referral.

What did the assessor mean your mental illness was suspicious!,

• feirfeir Member Posts: 396 Pioneering
    There's no official criteria for CPTSD in the DMV manual so even if you do have that nobody would be able to officially recognise it anyway as it's not classed as an illness yet, i guess you'd have to be diagnosed with PTSD for now.

Main differences between the two are people with BPD tend to rage, have uncontrollable mood swings, paranoia, seek out relationships, and are impulsive. Whereas people with CPTSD tend to be avoidant and withdraw, become hypervigilant, and have flashbacks.

Pretty sure i have CPTSD also but have only been diagnosed with moderate depression and anxiety and no disorder at all so i might not have it, idk.
    @feir thanks I think the DWP want ‘labels’ more than we do.
    I hope your ok today @Waylay
    Yeah i'm not bothered about a label, i joined a couple of facebook cptsd groups and they accept me despite not having a diagnosis so i can still get the support i need.
    @feir Yup, but the ICD-11 is in Beta, and Complex PTSD has been added this time (6B41). We don't use DSM very much in Europe.
    @feir But yeah, I fit C-PTSD almost exactly, like you.
    @susan48 Thanks!  I suspect that the assessor (a paramedic) only knew the basics about mental health, so since I don't fit the stereotypical description ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Lol, never heard of the ICD before. i'd better tag @susan48 and let her know that DMV was wrong. And that's good news that it willbe recognisable.

All the free learning sites seem to be,american or australian based but i never realised they'd use different stuff there.

Victoriad said:
    It’s how your condition affects your ability during daily living.

Its nothing to do with the medical labels.

Yes I know that’s what they say but when it comes to f2f etc they want a diagnosis. 

It clearly states in my assessment report, I have not been diagnosed so that’s another, say one thing and mean another.

What hope has anyone got it they change the goal posts to suit. 
  • peterpetepeterpete Member Posts: 37 Courageous
    I have p.t.s.d I found out today yet again my appeal was disallowed. If u can walk to the shop one minute away your fit for work. They want you to be house bound and able to do nothing at all before even giving you a point. Don't matter what evidence you provide you won't win I'm sorry to say but don't appeal in the short term it will leave you financially in secure best to seek advice immediately and keep calm through out. Pip assessments are unlike e.s.a they will fight you tooth and nail before excepting facts. Even as a secondary benefit u will lose your disability premium too. I found my self losing 600 pound a month unexpectedly. My advice is unless your 100 percent likely to win a appeal just reapply good luck 
    Victoriad said:
    Hi @susan48
    Ive never had a f2f.

Ive found the PiP application process very easy and Im now waiting for the result of my application for PiP enhanced rate.

I never have, in any part of my application forms, ever stated my psychiatric diagnosis or health diagnosis of any description.

I answered the questions without even having to fill a page with writing and writing two short paragraphs at most.

I do know that the DWP DID get in touch with the CPN dealing with me and have never contacted the GP either.

Its all gone surprisingly smoothly for me ( obviously others on the forum have not had the same experience)

@victoriad, next time Iv to fill in forms a wee meeting might be in order in our capital so you can help  ;)

• crippscripps Member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I wish my pip application went as well as yours has, good luck all the way. It’s about time someone beat there system. 
    I totally agree  as I suggested earlier.
    Its your life in their hands so you need to say if it’s not working,

We would change doctor if your current one wasn’t understanding, helping you so social worker, CPN, Psychologist etc shouldn’t be any different 
  • RebeccaMHadvisorRebeccaMHadvisor Member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi @Waylay

There is no such thing as a weird question...ask away!

First of all, I need to be honest with you, PIP is really complicated and I am not an expert other than it's very difficult to qualify for if you have a mental health condition. Scope do have some really good advice on claiming benefits. There are also some great threads within the forum about PIP assessments and I think that the advice I tend to see is...always talk about the impact that it has on you.

Sorry I can't be of more help
    Rebecca 
    @feir and @Victoriad ICD (sponsored by WHO and supporters) is generally used in Europe, while the DSM is generally used in the US. In the UK it depends on your position, where you work, etc. 

The DSM isn't wrong, @feir. The ICD and the DSM are similar, but each contains a few diseases that the other doesn't (e.g. C-PTSD); they often use slightly different names for the same disease (e.g. Borderline Personality Disorder and Emotionally Unstable PD are essentially the same thing), and definitions and symptoms are often slightly different). 
    @Victoriad, I know it's about how it affects your functioning. I'm 42 now, and was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder at 19, Generalised Anxiety Disorders in my early 20's, and BPD in ~2010. I had all kinds of evidence to back that up, including OT reports on how they affect me, and detailed descriptions in my forms. 

My assessor didn't bother to look at my forms or my evidence (or he would have noticed at least a few of the 27 major factual errors he made in his report). He appears to have decided that I don't have mental health problems because I a) didn't seem depressed or anxious at the assessment (I was literally shaking, rocking back and forth, and pulling out my hair) and b) don't match the stereotypical descriptions of depression and anxiety (weeks or months of depression with healthy periods in between), etc. Sigh.
    Thanks @RebeccaMHadvisor. I wasn't asking about PIP things, actually. I was asking if my experience of depression and anxiety is "normal".
    @susan48 Thanks for the well-wishers. I'm pretty crap right now, actually. :/ Already on month 6 of fighting for my PIP and only getting enough to eat because friends and partners keep sneaking it into my cupboard, or bringing it over when I'm too depressed to care. They're having to prompt me to eat, wash, dress, etc., and one of them comes over at least 3 times a week to shove food down my throat. My insomnia is insane (I don't sleep for 50-60 hours at a time, then crash so hard that I'm essentially unwakeable for 12 hours. My pain has gone WAY up, and my mobility is way down. I haven't done my physio in months. That's less of a problem than usual, tho, because I'm finding it difficult to leave my room, and extremely difficult to leave the house. :/

I have 3 more months to wait until I get a date for my tribunal. This process is killing me. :/
    Hi @Waylay

Sorry about that. I didn’t read your original post properly. I think when it comes to mental health there is no ‘normal’ and a mental health condition doesn’t always stay constant. 
    How you feel can vary from day to day as well as the impact on you. 
    What is important is that’s you are getting the right help and the right level of support for you. 
    Hi @Victoriad

I am so pleased to hear that your PIP journey hasn’t been smooth for you and the people you have met. Unfortunately in my role you can become quite disillusioned with the process as people tend to talk to me about the bad parts of the process and I very rarely get to hear about the successful claims

@Waylay

I hope your a little ‘better’ today. That’s not the right word but hope things get easier for you.
    This PIP can cause massive issues for lots of people, me included. It’s taken the last 6 months for me to begin to try and get over it.
    i was lucky and only had to wait a few months on my tribunal but months to get over that.

Thinking of you @Waylay
Sign in or join us to comment.