Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance claim issues

Kath113Kath113 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2018 in Carer's allowance
I my son gets midden dla and I now I am on income support and also made clam for cares  allowance I been told on the phone they have sent me letter.  but no money as gone in yet so do u think they have said no in the letter 

Replies

• JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Pioneering
    Hello @Kath113 and a warm welcome to the community. Glad you have found us.
    Unless you were given a particular starting date for payments it may be too early to offer an answer to this. Could you not telephone and ask if a payment is due to be made and when?
    How long have you been waiting for the letter?
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard

Any ideas @mikehughescq ?
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,914 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are on IS and claim CA then you need to notify IS as soon as CA is awarded in order to avoid any overpayment of the IS. Once IS are aware of the CA award they will deduct it £ for £ from your IS award (so you’re no better off) but then award the Carers Premium as an extra to your IS so you’ll be a little better off each week.

When DWP send out decision letters they’re not allowed to dysclose the contents over the phone so there’s nothing to be done but sit and wait.
  • Kath113Kath113 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    thanks but norrmay if they have award you I hear that when the letter gets sent out the money goes in at the same time 
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kath113, fingers crossed for the outcome you're hoping for. It's really difficult to predict what somebody's outcome will be, but if you're concerned you could try getting in touch:

Get information on Carer’s Allowance and how to make a claim.

General enquiries 
    Telephone: 0800 731 0297
    Textphone: 0800 731 0317 
    Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm
    Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm 
    Find out about call charges

• Kath113Kath113 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    thanks I did and they told me on the phone 8 Will get letter in post and I was awarded 
  • whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Am I right or wrong in thinking that if someone gets carers allowance, the person receiving DLA loses their premium? 

I would be patient for the letter to arrive. It might take 10 days and the allowance will be back dated once processed. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
    There are several premiums but you’re thinking of SDP and it very much depends on the specific circumstances.
    Ah yes I was.
    Thanks. 
    I thought they were making the system simple but it doesn't sound it. 
    It’s very simple... to not qualify :( 
    Yes I am one of those who doesn't.
Sign in or join us to comment.