PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I was told PIP wasn't backdate-able

SystemSystem Posts: 545

Scope community team

edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: Advice on pavement parking?.

Replies

• greenairgreenair Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi,
      After reading some of these posts, I`ve become aware that my p.ip. should have been backdated to the date of my original claim, this was not the case and I was told  Quote "p.i.p is a new type of claim and is not backdateable" , I was awarded the enhanced rate for both mobility, and personal care, any advice or thoughts on this before I contact p.i.p. would be very much appreciated,
                 kind regards
                            greenair

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you were transferred from DLA then there's is no backdated money. PIP payments will start 4 weeks after your DLA stops. It doesn't matter if your PIP award is more than your DLA was, there's still no back dated money.

If it's a new PIP claim and you didn't transfer from DLA then money is backdated to the day you rang to start your claim off.

So, did you transfer from DLA?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,594 Disability Gamechanger
    Backdating is what you get if you are entitled to benefit from before your date of claim. Payment back to the date of claim is not legally backdating. That’s just arrears. You seem to be saying you received a payment based on an award date that was after your date of claim but now think it should have been from the date of claim. Most common reason for this is that you didn’t pass the retrospective test on the date of claim. We’d need more detail before being able to comment further.
Sign in or join us to comment.