Am I within my own right to raise a complaint? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Am I within my own right to raise a complaint?

System
System Posts: 593

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: is it to late to complain about my assessor?.

Comments

• Kellie81
    Kellie81 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi everyone I'm a first time poster and only found this amazing forum by chance
    Hope someone can help 
    I had an assessment on 19 April 2018 for pip 
    I waited approximately three weeks for award letter when received telephoned dwp with regards to wanting a copy of my assessment as I told then I wasn't happy with there decision as I was awarded standard care and mobility taking away even tho my condition has became worse 
    Didn't receive my consultation report until Tuesday the 7th May when telephoned again after reading the report the lady said I receive quickly as it takes 7_10days explained how was this the case when I telephoned round about 3-4weeks ago requesting the info fuming is not the word and to top it off everything that was wrote is complete ad utter lies one of the biggest been that I keep eye contact  and engaged when I kept my head on the desk and my mam answered questions
    Also because I attended mainstream school I can make complex budget decisions. 
    All the assessments did was shout at me my mam asked how long it would take and her response was as long as it takes and I was in extreme pain. This lady was suppose to be a nurse my question is Iam within my own right to raise a complaint with regards to this 
  • Fedup2
    Fedup2 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    @Kellie81   I had the same,i was bought up with manners &told by my parents to look at people when you talk to them-This made me a maths genius & i pick up a cup of tea on my own this meant,i could cook & prepare food.I went over my appeal date after going on here i contacted them but got nowhere they said i could complain but if i do while they look at it my money could  stop ,& if i loose it could decrease. I can't deal with the stress my anxiety is through the roof & like you i'm so angry at what they have done.Hope you get help & have the strength to get it sorted.
  • Ripples
    Ripples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @Kellie81 Can I just say that you asking for a mandatory reconsideration  of what you have been awarded and complaining about an assessor are different things. If you are contesting an award you have to go through the motions of a mandatory reconsideration then tribunal if necessary. You have to show why their findings are wrong for example they said you can mobilise  150 metres but you cannot.  This is a guide to making complaints  https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/media/1734/ias-complaints-leaflet-a5-updated.pdf
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,799 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kellie81, and welcome! It's great to have you here.

So sorry to hear about your assessment experience. As @Ripples says, appealing and complaining are two separate things.

You can find out more about appealing a DWP decision on Scope's website, and you can find the DWP complaints procedure here. If we can be of further assistance, please do let us know.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.