Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Is serve disability premium counted for income on my esa support group?

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, we are the Employment Advisors, ask us a question.

Replies

• littleruthie123littleruthie123 Member Posts: 490 Pioneering
    Hi can you tell me is serve disability premium counted for income on my sea support group please.there taking 10.00  a week of as income but apparently there thought I was getting pension premium .im in my 40 s lol.or is it in fact the Sdp allowance thanks 
    @Zaid_Scope can you advise on my post above please?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    The severe disability premium is not counted as income for ESA. It's added on to your ESA and is £64.30 single claimant amount. You also need to have a daily living PIP award or mid/high rate care, live alone and no one claim carers allowance for looking after you. This is the criteria for claiming this.

You should ring ESA and ask what this is being taken off for as only they will be able to tell you this.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Thank you poppy ,yes I keep ringing  them and again waiting for all call back ,theve been taking that amount since 2014 so I think Ithey owe me money 
    Do you claim PIP daily living or mid/high rate care DLA? and do you live alone?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Then you need to keep ringing them because you should be claim both premiums on top of your ESA. Enhanced disability premium and severe disability premium. Both premiums are £80.70 extra per week on top of your ESA.
    Thank you am meant too be getting a call back again within 48 hours 
  • whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Who is taking the £10? What other income? 
    ESA is taxable but I got told that was contributory only.

The sdp is for daily living and edp is mobility.
    I really do not understand these premuims because if the benefit paid enough in the first place they wouldn't be needed! 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
    The 10 pound a fortnight is classed as an income from my esa amount .theve got me down as getting pension credit .which I don't get
    I use too recieve child maintenance of that amount .but that stopped 2 years ago .so I haven't a clue?.and they don't seem too either atm 
    Sounds like they haven't updated the maintaince as not being received. 
    That's a guess by the way. 
    Hope you get it sorted.
    Yrs fingers crossed .thank you 
    whistles said:
    Who is taking the £10? What other income? 
    ESA is taxable but I got told that was contributory only.

The sdp is for daily living and edp is mobility.
    I really do not understand these premuims because if the benefit paid enough in the first place they wouldn't be needed! 

EDP isn't for mobility. It's a disability premium that's paid on top of ESA only. It's automatically paid if in Support Group on Income Related but only paid in the WRAG if claiming Enhanced daily living PIP or high rate care DLA.
    Ah ok thanks.
    So why is that? 
    Why are some penalized for not having pip and some are.
    Makes no sense. 
    edited June 2018
    whistles said:
    Ah ok thanks.
    So why is that? 
    Why are some penalized for not having pip and some are.
    Makes no sense. 
    I have no idea, it's just the rules i guess. I don't understand what you mean by some being penalized part? Enhanced disability Premium (EDP) is only paid on ESA with what i stated above. I'm not sure why you state that it makes no sense.

It's the same as there's a premium that's paid on JSA and IS but not on ESA. For all the premiums it always depends on the claimants circumstances and no premiums are paid on Contribution Based, whether you receive PIP/ DLA or not.
    edited June 2018
    "no premiums are paid on Contribution Based" 

To me this is the wrong way round, though it's correct. This is the bit that makes no sense.

Before ESA you went onto incapacity benefit because of your contributions and you got more money than those who hadn't.
    I can't recall my amount of IS with SDA, but  it got replaced by IB and I didn't qualify due to contributions and got less money than IB, rightly so.
    But now those who have paid into the system are worse off. How is this possible? It just looks backwards for the person sat next to me having had more money to live on is now worse off because of these premuims.
    whistles said:
    "no premiums are paid on Contribution Based" 

To me this is the wrong way round, though it's correct. This is the bit that makes no sense.

Before ESA you went onto incapacity benefit because of your contributions and you got more money than those who hadn't.
    I can't recall my amount of IS with SDA, but  it got replaced by IB and I didn't qualify due to contributions and got less money than IB, rightly so.
    But now those who have paid into the system are worse off. How is this possible? It just looks backwards for the person sat next to me having had more money to live on is now worse off because of these premuims.
    Simple really because those that are claiming Contribution based can live with a partner that works as many hours as they want and it doesn't affect their ESA. They can also have as much capital/savings as they want, as that won't affect it either. Income Related is based on household income, CB isn't.

If a claimant is claiming CB whether they have a partner that doesn't work or they are a single person,  then they will most likely be entitled to and income related top up, which of course is the premium/s.

I worked and paid my NI contributions in the past, yet i am a single person. Therefore i claim CB ESA with an Income Related top of of both premiums SDP and EDP.
Sign in or join us to comment.