PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP and pension

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: State Pension and PIP - help needed.

Replies

• gb500gb500 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hello,

I have a question, someone I know has been claiming DLA for over 12 years, this person has MS, this person has just been awarded maximum PIP for the maximum period.  When this person reaches retirement age how does pip effect the old age pension. this person has never had a break in NI contributions?  If a person claims PIP do they still qualify for the UK state pension or something different?  Present age 52 and living in the UK.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gb500

• wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,284 Disability Gamechanger
    [email protected], hello and welcome, The person may have to move from DLA over to PIP, if he or she is claiming PIP at retirement age they will continue to receive PIP as long as they meet the criteria for claiming. As for their state pension this will be paid the full amount along side PIP. I am sure others will comfirm this or add other advice or comments to help and guide you , keep posting. 
  • markyboymarkyboy Member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Yes i am 67 and been getting pip for 4 years it has no affect on your state pension 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,938 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP has no bearing on SRP at all.
  • CharlesCharles Member Posts: 14 Connected
    Any PIP payment which are received should not have any effect on the amount of old age pension you are entitled to.
    Also, welcome to the SCOPE online community and any questions should be asked and, if possible, answered
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Depending on their level of savings, State Pensioners who are in receipt of PIP might be eligible for Pension Credit.  There should be factsheets about this on Age UK and CAB websites.  Also Age UK have a helpline.
    Thank you. good research

• wedgehogwedgehog Member Posts: 15 Listener
    Yes all correct but just a point, if you are not already on PIP at pension age, then you cannot claim PIP,  Therefore if you are already on it and they make you do a re-assessment like me, then decide that you no longer qualify for PIP even though nothing has changed with regards to your medical conditions, you will no longer be able to apply for it because you are over retirement age. In other words the criminals are trying to get all the pensioners off it.
    There would be no reason to not challenge such a decision and additionally it woould still be open to you to claim AA.
    Oh I'm challenging it, waiting for tribunal. What's AA?
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Attendance Allowance, payable to over 65s who qualify, who do not receive PIP daily living. Same rates as PIP daily living.  There is no mobility component to AA.
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    wedgehog said:
    Yes all correct but just a point, if you are not already on PIP at pension age, then you cannot claim PIP,  Therefore if you are already on it and they make you do a re-assessment like me, then decide that you no longer qualify for PIP even though nothing has changed with regards to your medical conditions, you will no longer be able to apply for it because you are over retirement age. In other words the criminals are trying to get all the pensioners off it.

I keep hearing that the 'pensioners' are absolutely 'loaded' with wealth. They have had their pension increased every year and get help with all manner extras. Now if that was actually true then yes they are probably trying to get us geriatrics off as many benefits as possible.
    Shame really that the government is prepared to accept that the state pension represents only 20% of the average weekly wage and that we are close to being the worst paid pensioners in Europe!  
    There would be no reason to not challenge such a decision and additionally it woould still be open to you to claim AA.

I agree  but only if you are fit and capable to handle an appeal.
    As for claiming AA, I looked into this myself and according to the gov website, it appears to be still as complicated to claim as was DLA/PIP. There was also mention that a face to face assessment would/could be carried out.
    I have experienced AA before with my wife which took two applications before she was granted it. The first ended up at the Tribunal which was a disaster in that they agreed with the DWP that she was not entitled.  It is also a time limited benefit much like PIP.
    Similar process to DLA but generally much easier to claim if presented well. Gets even more clear cut if you’re over 80.
    Similar process to DLA but generally much easier to claim if presented well. Gets even more clear cut if you’re over 80.

Thanks, then that's the problem, the uninitiated not knowing really how well is well.
    I remember that when filling it in my wife had to time how much time she needed help both day and night, how often and why. At the end of the form and reading it back it sounded corny and made up as if someone actually holds a stopwatch 24/7 - it just sounded to me to be all made up - so unreal.

Why should it be more clear cut if you are over 80? I know many people that are in a far fitter state than I am at 70!

As regards evidence is it still the DWP's requirement that nothing over 24 months is to be sent in and nothing that has already been sent? 
    Why over 80? Good question. Purely anecdotal observation from me and staff who have worked for me. Hundreds of cases so probably not statistically valid but I doubt you’d find many WROs who’d disagree.

The DWP requirement is no such thing. There’s no rule of law re: 24 months at all. It’s just a made up thing to emphasise that contemporaneous evidence is better if available. Nothing that has already been sent in is just common sense.
  • sue66sue66 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    wedgehog said:
    Hi i thought as much and you have confirmed this.  Im 66 now and been getting state pension since age 61, however ive still had a letter saying i will at some point be asked to transfer to PIP from DLA because i was already receiving the DLA at pension age. Its those who were fortunate enough to be born before 1949 that get left alone to carry on claiming their DLA. Hubby missed this by a few months, was born 1949. Its those who reach state pension age and have never applied for the DLA wont be invited to apply for the PIP. After 65 ones only option is the apply for AA.  So you had to go for a re assessment got turned down and can no longer apply.  As you say In other words the criminals are trying to get all the pensioners off it because they know they cant reapply. How cruel is this. So when hubby has to re apply again when his first 3 yrs of PIP is up if they decide this time he isn't entitled then that's it then.  
    Matilda said:
    Attendance Allowance, payable to over 65s who qualify, who do not receive PIP daily living. Same rates as PIP daily living.  There is no mobility component to AA.
    Ah! thanks, hmmm  I doubt I would get that as my problems are mainly mobility
Sign in or join us to comment.