Struggling to sleep — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Struggling to sleep

System
System Posts: 596

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: mental health nurse.

Comments

• Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Sorry to interrupt your thread. I am a depressed man 63 years old in Plymouth Devon. I am on Mirtazapine and Amytriptiline but they do not seem to help. ANd I cannot sleep. Any ideas please? Neville
  • susan48
    susan48 Member Posts: 2,222 Disability Gamechanger
    @Jazzguitar, try starting a new discussion, that way you hopefully will get ideas.

Id see your gp though, Iv insomnia and on sleeping tablets.

Best start a new thread for more info.
  • poppawotsy
    poppawotsy Member Posts: 11 Listener
    Get a  copy of Easy Rider listen relax and chill ,out! Seriously, a nice hot bath and pour plenty of warm/hot water over your head, dry off and go to bed! If that fails put channel 232 on feeviiew! Seriously see G.P. and ask him to change meds!Now:run bath and go to bed! Good-Luck!
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Could you please elaborate a little. Do you mean you never sleep? Or perhaps you only drop off when exhausted or other specific circumstance? Or perhaps that you cannot sleep regularly at night? Also have you discussed it with the GP? Mirtazapine is an anti-depressant and so is Amytryptylene to a lesser extent. However, sometimes the latter is prescribed for neural pain so do you suffer that? Have you tried medication for sleeping is something else useful to know. Personally I found Amytryptylene was very good at putting me to sleep, too good in fact, lol!

Sorry not to have been of more help but can maybe answer better with more information if you don't mind sharing.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,799 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jazzguitar, so sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping- I know how debilitating it can be.

As the others have said, different things work for different people, however The National Sleep Foundation has some great (non-pharmaceutical) tips on helping to improve sleep. Otherwise, it might be worth talking to your GP about trying a different medication- I trialled 4 different options before I found one that even marginally improved things for me, so don't give up hope! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.