Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How far back can arrears for severe disability premiums be paid for INCOME SUPPORT

SystemSystem Posts: 545

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Unexpected letter- "we need to look at your claim".

Replies

• hasshass Member Posts: 126 Courageous
    Hi all

Hope everyone is well?
    Does anyone know how far back  arrears for severe disability premiums   can be paid  for INCOME SUPPORT .
    Thank you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi hass

It's complicated.  It will depend upon why the severe disability premium wasn't paid from the date when it was due.

Why wasn' t it paid before and from when?

Gill_Scope
     Hi thank you for responding 
    My  friends neighbour  was not aware  apparently esa  told her to ring income support  
    Which she did and complete  the form that two emailed her .
    Her then support worker  did not even know  that she was eligible for sdp  .

Apologies pip awarded 2014 to present  therefore she should  have received it  
    Esa awarded in April 2018  moved from income support  and incapacity  benefit as a single person  
    Hi hass

On the basis that it's sometimes a mistake to get advice second-hand or even third- hand, I think it would be best for your friend's  neighbour  to get advice themselves.  You could suggest that they join our community!

Best wishes

Gill_Scope
  • JamesGJamesG Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Final update here.

I managed to have a phone call last Tuesday to fill out the ESA3 form over the phone. The DWP representative also filled out both forms for the standard and enhanced disability premiums at the same time.

I received a txt message within a few hours and a letter further explaining the newly awarded decisions, Saturday just gone. 

I've been switched over to income based esa, aswell as been awarded both premiums. My new amount is £191 a week. 

As neither txt or letter spoke about back dated money, I called up just now to speak about what the time frame and such was for backdated money. I've been told that the goverment say they're aiming to settle all backdated accounts by March 2019, due to the amount of people effected. I was told that, that means the amount could land in my bank any time between now and then, the amn I spoke to today did say he has seen some people already receive the back dated money though. It would probably appear before I'd recive a letter informing me as letters take 5 days to land whereas payments take 3 days.  More importantly as the amounts are over the allowed savings amount it wouldn't be taxable as long as I reduced the amount in my bank within a year, so it would have zero effect on my benifits.

Thank you for all the heads up info everyone gave me during this switch around. It greatly helped and settled my nerves 
  • DagozDagoz Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, slightly off topic, but when will the backdated ESA premiums be paid (I have sent off the form), anyone know?
  • anth22anth22 Member Posts: 60 Courageous
    Hi Dagoz i got my new ESA rate from the 18th April 2018 was told arrears should take around 12 weeks, my arrears are sorted and waiting to go in my bank but DWP are awaiting the legal letter to allow them to pay it from 2011.
    I waited just over 2 months before i contacted them only to be told they had missed me out so if i were you i would ring them every 2 weeks just for your own peace off mind.
  • RipplesRipples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @Dagoz Which form are you referring to?  Have you had an assessment yet and been informed of the result?
  • DagozDagoz Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited August 2018
    Sorry Ripples, I got a letter saying that I would get a  phone call from the DWP and I spoke to someone who helped me fill out a form. I am currently on high rate mobility component and high rate care component and the form will determine whether or not I get ESA premiums back payments, i.e. extra money over and above my normal rate of P.I.P

P.S. Thanks Anth22
  • RipplesRipples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @Dagoz Oh I see. Good luck with that every penny counts
    JamesG

This is from Hansard, 19/7/18, where an MP asked the Minister for Disabled People a question about arrears being paid with no strings attached, as it were:

The arrears being paid to people may be quite considerable in some cases. Will the Minister confirm to the House that these will be disregarded for their current benefit entitlement, because people should not lose out now for mistakes that the Department made previously?
    The hon. Lady raises a very important point. I am more than happy to put it beyond any doubt for people who are receiving payments for these underpayments that those payments will be disregarded for the purposes of other benefits.

The normal rule for whether benefit arrears can ever reduce current entitlement to benefit  is that any arrears over £5000 and due to DWP error are not counted in the assessment of savings indefinitely. Therefore  the only arrears not covered by that general rule would be arrears under £5000.  This extract from Hansard may serve as an indication of government intention about these arrears, I hope. 

Gill_Scope

• PrecioussdpPrecioussdp Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hit can anyone tell me if wo can use any backdated money to pay off a debt that you didn’t even know you had
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hit can anyone tell me if wo can use any backdated money to pay off a debt that you didn’t even know you had
    Any backdated money you've received is disregarded for 1 year for all means tested benefits. This means that in the year you can spend it on anything you want. After this year, it will be counted.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Precioussdp, I hope the advice helps :)

Please do let us know if we can do anything else!
    Scope

Sign in or join us to comment.