PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Scared to go through PIP procedure

SystemSystem Posts: 489 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is elarosa!.

Replies

• elarosaelarosa Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I'm not desabled, not taken PIP but I'm really struggling with everyday living. Suffering with fibromyalgia, diabetis 2, depression and anxiety makes me unable to work. I'd like to apply for PIP but scared to go through this all procedure. I heard it's really hard to be awarded.  I would be grateful to hear from someone who went through this process. Thank you 🙂
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Hi @elarosa, thanks for sharing this with us.

I'm sure others will be in touch soon to offer reassurance, but in the meantime, you may like to try this PIP self-test to give you an idea of your entitlement. You can also find out more about PIP on Scope's website. Hope this helps, and please do come back to us with any questions!
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,182 Disability Gamechanger
    When I was recovering from spinal decompression surgery and living in a tied house I wanted some advice and comfirmation, I visited my local CAB who informed me I could claim PIP. So having made the call filled in the 40 page applecation form waited for my acessment. The acessment Center was 25 miles away so requested a taxi to and from the Center. I was using crutches and had recently been diagnosed with MS. I sat at the rear of the waiting room after being offered tea from the receptionist I refused a sat and waited to be called. From the moment of being called unaware the acessor was taking note on how I responded to being called how I rose from the chair and walking to her office and using her desk to lower myself into a chair, having to stand several times due to spasms in my legs. The acessor recorded how I was dressedclean teeth, hair washed clean,  shaved and smelt clean, cut clean finger nails. Had good knowledge of my medical condition ect, ect. I was awarded basic care and basic mobility just what I expected, on my second PIP acessment due to change of circumstances I was award basic care and enhanced mobility as expected. Yes you have to have your wits about you and think before you answer because they use the conversations you have during the acessment to filter, screen your abilities to award points.
  • wrinkly65wrinkly65 Member Posts: 17 Connected
     from experience I know your conditions can seriously effect you ability to perform normal daily activities.Make some notes after trying and what cant do at all alongside descriptors . My son recently got PIP award for effects of Fibromyalgia ,anxiety and depression. It was at times scary for him to go through proccedure and had to do Reconsideration letter to get award. He is so glad he persevered albeit with help with forms and letter. Do read advice on this site and look at descriptors to see which apply it really helps with presentation, and of course dont be afraid to post questions or be disheartened. Hope goes well
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 915 Pioneering
    Remember: for PIP they want to know how your disabilitie(s) affect your function. It's not enough to just say, "I have severe double-headed-syndrome". You have to explain that having two heads means that you're constantly arguing with yourself, so you can't get anything done, etc. ;
  • elarosaelarosa Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you Guys for all information and advice. I will check the test first. You are very kind and its so nice to know that I'm not alone...Thank you. 
Sign in or join us to comment.