Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Applying for a Carers Allowance

SystemSystem Posts: 521

Scope community team

edited August 2018 in Carer's allowance
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is Garry_1!.

Replies

• Garry_1Garry_1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi everyone.

I'm soon to apply for a Carers Allowance in order to further look after my Mum.

I have an occupational pension from my career which exceeds the figure of £120 a week. Will I still be able to apply/qualify?

Also I wondered how long an application takes before you can get an initial response/verdict?

Thanks
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    You occupational pension wouldn't stop you claiming Carers Allowance for your mum. However firstly you need to make sure your mum isn't claiming Severe disability premium (£64.30 per week) if she is then you claiming Carers allowance for looking after her would stop the SDP because she would no longer be entitled to it.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • tharathara Posts: 49 Member
    No your pension shouldn’t affect your claim. However I would find out whether or not she is claiming SDP - severe disability premiums first. If they find out she is then they might decide to take away that benefit from her. Once you have found out if she is or not then you can get a copy of the application form. 
  • curiousmom1996curiousmom1996 Posts: 35 Member
    A quick search revealed that you or the person you are applying for must be receiving middle or higher rate care (higher rate mobility is not enough). It’s worth applying on behalf of your mother. 
    A quick search revealed that you or the person you are applying for must be receiving middle or higher rate care (higher rate mobility is not enough). It’s worth applying on behalf of your mother. 
    If the mother is claiming SDP then it won't be worth claiming carers allowance for her because she will lose the SDP.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    thara said:
     If they find out she is then they might decide to take away that benefit from her.
    They check what is being claimed before awarding the benefit. A person can't claim SDP if someone is claiming carers allowance for looking after them.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,006 Disability Gamechanger
    thara said:
     If they find out she is then they might decide to take away that benefit from her.
    They check what is being claimed before awarding the benefit. A person can't claim SDP if someone is claiming carers allowance for looking after them.
    Not true. They ask but don’t check. Consequently there are regular overpayments of SDP all the time.
Sign in or join us to comment.