Help with rent and council tax? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Help with rent and council tax?

System Posts: 702

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Mental health.


  • LucyW123
    LucyW123 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hello, I wondered if anyone could help me please?? I had a breakdown at work approx 5 weeks ago, I completely broke down, I was taken to my managers office and told my behaviour was completely unacceptable, on the drive home all I wanted to do was drive my little car into a brick wall and end it all, the only thing that stopped me was the thought of my gorgeous daughters aged 16 and 18. I have no living parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles or cousins. I have just one older brother and one older sister who havent spoken to me in about 8 years. My brother used to beat me really badly after my father died, even bashing a brick over my head when I was 15 years old ( my wonderful father died of bowel cancer aged just 49 when I was just 12, my brother was 21 and my sister 18 at the time, I found my father dead aged just 12. ) I know my brother doesnt want to see me as I remind him of how nasty he used to be, my sister hasnt spoken to me as my mother died of cancer when I was 27 and my sister forged her will and took all the money, she now owns 2 houses and is well offf, the reason for telling you this is to let you know my children have nobody in this world apart from me so thats why I havent killed myself, yet. ( sadly their father left and is only in their life when it suits him ) I am asking for any advice in what to do as I have been signed off with depression and anxiety and now wont be able to pay my rent or council tax, I am petrified I will lose the house, ( we are in a council property, have been here for 13 years. ) I was on minimum wage but paid all my own rent and council tax. I have written to the council to explain my situation but due to my mental health I find it hard to even speak to people. I have looked into housing benefit but as I am on sick pay so I dont know if the council can help. What shall I do? where do I turn to, please? I would happily end this life if it wasnt for my girls, I am desperate. . I wish all the best to everyone and I hope your life is better than mine , I wouldnt wish this on

  • LucyW123
    LucyW123 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Sorry, I just want to say thank you for allowing me to join your site, I should of said that first, thank you xx
  • LucyW123
    LucyW123 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Also this is just a tiny bit of what I have been through, I went to a mental health assessment a few years ago and was told some people come in with just one of the things I have been through and they are really bad with that, I have been through so much how does one ever get better? they dont, right ? 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    You should try the helpline or the Samaritans. There is always hope. 
  • LucyW123
    LucyW123 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hello debbiedo49, I am really grateful for your reply my lovely, however, I have tried the Samaritans quite a few times during my life and, although they do a terrific job they are not for me, I am way beyond the Samaritans darling, way beyond xx  All the best to you debbiedo49 xx
  • LucyW123
    LucyW123 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thank you for your above advice debbiedo49, I really appreciate knowing someone is out there. I just wondered if you know anything about what I can do about my rent and council tax situation, please? I am off sick from work. I have supplied sick notes but as I am not going to get my normal wage I can't pay my rent or council tax. My rent is 420 per month and my council tax 212 per month, my sick pay won't even come close, what shall i do? x
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Contact the cab or welfare rights at your local council ASAP 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,373 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry your question was missed. Posting a question on the end of someone else's post often finds it gets missed. Starting your own thread is always the best answer.

    First thing you need to do is check what's in your area, if it's a full Universal credit area then it will be this you'll need to claim and not housing benefit. Check here.

    If it's a full UC then you can claim this online but it takes 6 weeks before your benefit will be paid. You will need to speak to your landlord if paying your rent is going to be an issue in the meantime. Council tax reduction is claimed separately and is not part of UC, for this you'll need a form from your local council. Any tax credits you claim will be transferred to UC too. Child benefit is not part of UC. 

    If your area isn't a full Universal credit area then you can claim Housing benefit and for this you'll need a form from your local council. For both UC or housing benefit you will need your tenancy agreement to be able to claim them. You should also speak to your landlord if you're privately renting because a lot of landlords won't rent to those claiming benefits. 

    Regarding your job, SSP is payable for 28 weeks, with a fit note.

    Aside from all of that have you thought about claiming PIP? PIP is a disability benefit that's replaced DLA. It's not awarded based on diagnosis, but how your conditions affect you daily. Evidence will be needed to support a claim and a face 2 face assessment is most likely needed because it's rare not to have them. Complete the PIP self test here to see if a claim is possible. Please be aware that it's just a guide and an award isn't guaranteed.

    Hope this helps, good luck and take care!

  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Hi @LucyW123 and a very warm welcome to the community! I am really sorry to hear about your situation. I would advice about Samaritans being available 24/7 but I do take on board your views on this. Has your GP referred you to a mental health specialist? I wish you all the best of luck and please do continue to use the community if you need anything at all.

  • LucyW123
    LucyW123 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hello, Thank you so much debbiedo49,poppy123456 and Chloe_Scope, I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply to me, I am so grateful. I have a mental health appointment this Thursday so I will see what they say, I have been before in the past but I found it so painful as they want me to discuss things that I try to bury every minute of every day and then when I leave the appointment all I want to do is literally hang myself, I then have to try and bury all the awful things in my head and that is exhausting,   it is very painful. I looked into the pip claim to help me but it is so hard with mental health and filling in the form, I dont have anyone to help me word it correctly, how do you answer about the food question for instance? it says can you prepare a meal, I don't want to eat, I have no interest in food or anything, I just want to sleep forever, it is so hard to answer these questions with a mental health problem,  when it is a mental health disability the questions are not really suited to that problem, they are very hard to answer and as I am rather a proud person I dont want to say I cant do certain things. Is it best to always fill the form in based on your worst days? everyday for me is bad but I have some days where I really have to stop myself from trying to end it all, some days I dont think about suicide every minute of the day but some days that is all I think about. Why is life so damn hard, I know its a gift and I love life and that just adds to my guilt, there are people dying every second of the day wishing they had another day and here is me wishing I was dead. x God bless and good luck to all xxx
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LucyW123, if you're having trouble with the PIP form, Citizens Advice have some great online guidance for filling it in- it goes through each section and breaks it down into parts. You could also perhaps arrange an appointment at your local CAB if you feel you'd like more help with this.

    The PIP process can feel overwhelming, but take it step by step and you'll get there, and feel free to come back and ask us any further questions in the meantime!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,373 Disability Gamechanger
    The PIP descriptors won't apply to everyone but lots of people claim PIP for mental health conditions and how they're affected by them. 

    When filling out a PIP form never ever fill it out based on your worst day. This is the worst thing anyone can do. PIP is all about how your conditions affect you 50% of the time and not about your worst day. 

    If there's a CAB or welfare rights in your area then i'd advise getting help from either of these to fill your form out for you. They can be very daunting. It's true, they do have to be worded correctly and well filled out form is the best start to any claim. It's very difficult to know what and which descriptor could apply to you so this is why it's a good idea to get some help. As Pippa said, citizens advice have a very good website too but i'd still recommend further help. Doing some research into the PIP descriptors and what they mean will also be a big help. Good luck!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @LucyW123   Pleased to meet you. Sorry what has happened. I have been reading your posts. 

    With compassion, empathy.

    I am sure that you need to find what is best for you and the right support.

    Having some one to talk to is often a difficult not easy thing to do. Especially talking to a mental health support worker.

    Dealing with any mental health issues is confusing. You can not fathom what is going on. Because you can not think straight.  One of the aspects of anxiety is having these thoughts that swirl around. In your head and go around and around. Effecting your whole body.

    Plus constant bouts of depression. So what can you do. Write it down. Like you have here. Write it down in simple note form. I had to do this for my first time.  Since then. Doctors, any support worker.

    Having a support worker.. Spent about ten minutes sitting in  silence. Then I realised she was going and had to try to help my self if I could.

    This is what they do try to help you but you have try to help yourself if you can. This can be done by agreeing to a plan of action, some goals and aims you wish to achieve together.

    You have been through a lot I know reading your post.

    Once finding support they can help with benefits and other advice. Give you support in form filling and be at assessments.

    One final point speak to CAB is advisable because they can help and give a wealth of knowledge and expertise.  Make appointment.

    Hope your appointment goes well Thursday. Plus anything else we as a community can advise on. I am a humble gent but I have been so grateful to this forum for advice and information.

    Also it is taking small steps as well. I hope we as a community can be a listening ear.

    Come back ask anything. Anytime.

    Take care

    Pleasure to meet you.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Rosie2017
    Rosie2017 Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Hi Do you have a Mental Health Advocacy where you live. I have been having help from them regarding my mental health and the DWP. They may also be able to help point you in the right direction regarding your other benefits e.g. council tax and rent rebates. Wishing you well and keep on keeping on, you can do it. Sending you a hug. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.