Designing a portable table attachment for wheelchair users — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Designing a portable table attachment for wheelchair users

lottiehumphrey
lottiehumphrey Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in Research and opportunities
Hi my name is Lottie Humphrey and I study GCSE Design and Technology. This year for my practical exam I have chosen to make a portable table attachment for people in wheelchairs. I have made a series of questions to help me do this and it would be amazing if you could answer them for me. Thankyou Lottie Humphrey. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottiehumphrey

Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

Yes I would be more than happy in helping you with things!!!!!!!!

Thanks.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottiehumphrey
    Welcome to the community! A portable table attachment would really benefit me so I will be more than happy to answer your questions!
    1. Ami
    2. 23
    3. Am currently wedding planning at the moment, also have started taking up photography.
    4. Became deaf end of 2016, partially sighted March 2017, started to have difficulties walking August 2017.
    5. Not being able to do the things I used to be able to do.
    6. Depends on the purpose of the product.
    7. Yes.
    8. Not sure.
    9. Just to be treated as equal as any other person.
    10. Definitely! Adjustable tables that could be lowered or raised. 
    11. Yes. The laptop can overheat and leave marks. Due to Ataxia my legs can suddenly jerk out without warning so having a laptop on my lap isn't a good idea.
    12.  Without a doubt!
    13. I've had to learn to write again and I struggle holding things so having a portable table in front of me would ensure me steadiness.
    14. Maybe an attachable drink holder.
    15. More room plus it would prevent me from knocking my drink over.
    16. Up to £20.
    17. Quality,
    18. Plastic.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottiehumphrey and a very warm welcome to the community! We all wish you the very best of luck with your project! I will move the discussion into our research section and I hope this will get you some more responses :) If there is anything else that we can help with then please do not hesitate to be in touch!
    Scope

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
  • lottiehumphrey
    lottiehumphrey Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much for the responses! It’s really helpful ?
  • DavidM
    DavidM Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    edited September 2018
    Hi Lottie, here at Remap we make all kinds of gadgets for disabled people and have lots of volunteers who do this for us. For more insider tips contact us on [phone number removed by moderator] or contact your nearest Remap group. You can find them by looking on the contact page of our website and putting in your postcode.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.