PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP, 65 and mobility component

SystemSystem Posts: 547

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is Stephen137!.

Replies

• malhut1951malhut1951 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi has anyone else had to go for the PIP f2f lately like myself in my wheelchair. I saw a very nice assessor and was awarded 12 points for mobility. When the letter from PIP came awarded lower rate 10 points. When i asked for MR the result reply saying as im over 65 i cannot be awarded enhanced rate Mobility by law. In face Mobility has been stopped for all new PIP Claimants over 65. I had DLA high rate but because PIP 2 months before being 65 cannot be awarded enhanced rate. 
    Personally i think Age and Disability DISCRIMINATION
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @malhut1951 and thank you for share this with us all. As far as I am aware, you are able to get enhanced rate mobility when you are over 65. You cannot start a PIP claim when you are 65 or older as this is attendance allowance. Please bare in mind the PIP and DLA are completely different benefits and just because you had DLA higher rate this does not automatically entitle you to enhance rate on DLA. I hope the community are able to offer more advice :)
    Scope

• MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    If you go to appeal you could be awarded 12 points mobility.  If tribunal keeps your award at 10 points then you can never apply for a mobility increase from standard to enhanced because you are over 65.  

Essentially, if over 65, whatever mobility award you finally get post 65 is the maximum you could ever get.

As others have said no new claims for PIP can be made post 65.  But as yours is a DLA/PIP transfer you can appeal for an increase to enhanced mobility.  DWP awarded me standard mobility which tribunal increased to enhanced.  I had to transfer DLA/PIP aged 68.

It is the practice of DWP to award as few points as they can, often without justification.  This is why 71% of appeals win.
  • dignifieddolldignifieddoll Member Posts: 52 Connected
    I agree with you molhut1951  d it does feel like discrimination .and also i had heard that if you are 64or older and you claimed dla and pip before you could claim pip ..so this is all wrong ??
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    also i had heard that if you are 64or older and you claimed dla and pip before you could claim pip ..so this is all wrong ??
    PIP was introduced on 8th April 2013. If a person was claiming DLA and they were 65 or over on this date then they won't be asked to claim PIP. If they were under 65 on this date this will eventually be asked to apply for PIP.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't make a new claim for PIP over 65.  You can claim PIP over 65 if you are transferring from DLA.
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    Hi has anyone else had to go for the PIP f2f lately like myself in my wheelchair. I saw a very nice assessor and was awarded 12 points for mobility. When the letter from PIP came awarded lower rate 10 points. When i asked for MR the result reply saying as im over 65 i cannot be awarded enhanced rate Mobility by law. In face Mobility has been stopped for all new PIP Claimants over 65. I had DLA high rate but because PIP 2 months before being 65 cannot be awarded enhanced rate. 
    Personally i think Age and Disability DISCRIMINATION
    If you were in receipt of the High rate of Mobility under DLA before you were 65 and you had to transfer to PIP after your 65th birthday you can still be awarded the Enhanced rate mobility under PIP.

Sign in or join us to comment.