Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Struggling to get home visit

SystemSystem Posts: 521

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: ESA assessment - home visit?.

Replies

• lyturtlyturt Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Struggling to get home visit despite doctors letter supporting the fact my better half has severe agraphobia
    At my wits end as what to do next. Cant afford to lose benefits
    Any suggestions pls
  • rosiejoerosiejoe Member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Similar situation. I get doctor's letter, they over rule sigh how? I then don't go down to ill health. I call in. They send why didn't  u show. I reply with unable to,due to diahorrea. Upheld. Another appointment sent out 4weeks later .. I'm acting on behalf of a few people. I will update u. Causing so much stress. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,003 Disability Gamechanger
    If you’re a disabled person as defined by EA 10 them ask for it as a reasonable adjustment.
    So we just ring appointments and ask for home visit as a "reasonable adjustment" as defined by EA10? Mikehughescq ta
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,003 Disability Gamechanger
    No, put it in writing and keep a copy.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    lyturt rosiejoe,

I agree with Mike's suggestion. This can be a good way of getting Maximus to give you a home appointment.

The reference is to the Equality Act 2010, section 29, which says that service providers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments.

I wouldn't hesitate to complain about this too, as you have both had medical evidence explaining why you need a home visit, yet been ignored/refused one. 

You can complain via: [email protected]

You could also consider contacting your MP and/or the Equality Advisory Support Service  - their contact details are at the bottom of the web page. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a strong case against Maximus (CHDA as they call themselves) for doing this, and highlighting it further could get them to change. And in the meantime, hopefully, with these points you should get the home visit you need.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    Thanks for your advice. Appreciated. Representing a friend for ESA. They closed the local offices, which were also ground level. Told me they have their own GPS etc who will read doctors letters and then decide ( to over ride) got us running through hoops for no reason. Next assessment form I fill in for anyone I will be very specific. It's definitely discrimination. Just glad I'm able to have a go lol
Sign in or join us to comment.