ESA question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA question

System Posts: 758 Scope online community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Would I be considered for backpay?.


  • john28863
    john28863 Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Hi looking for some help my son was on ib but was moved onto esa cb in 2011 he was 26 then only other income was dla stayed with parents has never worked would he have qualified for cb esa then got form esa3 last week any thoughts folks thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,258 Disability Gamechanger

    As he transferred from IB to ESA then he would already be on Contributions based ESA, it will be the Income Related top up that he would be assessed for. If he doesn't already claim this then it sounds like he maybe eligible if he doesn't live with a partner that works. DLA is not classed as income and isn't means tested. The form will need to be filled in and returned along with all the evidence they ask for. It can take 12 weeks or more to hear back from DWP with a decision. Any money owed is being backdated to November 2011.
  • john28863
    john28863 Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Thanks poppy that sounds like good news they havent asked for any evidence sent form back last week they called fri to ask if he ever been in care home never always at home said ok its going to decision maker now 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.