Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Carers allowance, backdated PIP and UC

Replies

• Adi72Adi72 Member Posts: 47 Connected
    Hello.Sorry to butt in but wondered if i could ask some advise.@pippa_scope My daughter is awaiting pip tribunal.She is week 22 and have been told it could be another 28 weeks 😳.My carers allowance stopped on 12 July and I am hoping to get that backdated from 13th July to whenever the pip is first awarded.IS this correct?I have also managed through a charities help to get awarded child tax credit (my daughter is 16)for Interuption to Education which helps a little.I was also receiving income support as a carer until 12th July also and am hoping to get that backdated too.Is this possible as ive been told I may not be able to get this now due to universal credit?It is so stressful with pip and not knowing how long itll take ot what my daughter will get which then affects what i may or may not get.I have people I owe also that are helping us to get through this time.that help is stopping next month and if pip takes another 6 months itll be tough.Thanku for reading😊
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adi72 if the Tribunal goes in your daughters favour then you will be able to apply for carers allowance to be backdated to the date it stopped. If you've still claiming child tax credits then this can also be re-claimed and backdated to the date it stopped.

However, your Income Support will be an issue, if your area is a full Universal Credit area then you won't be able to claim Income Support, it will have to be UC, providing you don't have anymore than 2 children (UC can't be claimed by those who have more than 2 children) If you claim UC then tax credits and housing benefit will also transfer across too.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 Thank you for your reply.Ive always been confused by Income Support as she told me to call when the pip is awarded and that income support would be backdated.ive heard of uc replacing benefits but am a little worried if i claim for it will it mean i will lose alot of money overall?Adi

@poppy123456 I should also mention I was getting smi for my mortgage and not housing benefit
    edited October 2018
    You will not be able to re-claim Income Support if your area is a full UC area, you'll have no option but to claim UC instead. Use this link to check what's in your area.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 Thanku.I have just done a turn to us calculation with the gwo possible outcomes of pip if an award is made.according to that i wont be worse off with universal credit thankfully.i will apply if and when pip is awarded.Also out of interest i am struggling to find if my smi will be backdated to my mortgage company.That stopped a few months ago too.It was the new smi loan.I know ill only get it once uc is awarded 😊
    @poppy123456 It is a shame I will miss out in the income support backdated money that stopped in July.oh well those are the rules.Gees my head is spinning a bit
    May i ask what benefits you're currently claiming as your Income Support has stopped?
    @poppy123456 The only thing I have is child benefit and ctc fof interuption to education for my daughter.I got help with that through a charity
    Is there any reasons why you haven't applied for UC? You won't be able to go back onto Income support because your area is a full UC area, so there's not much point in waiting for the PIP hearing before claiming UC.

As there's been a gap in your benefits claim then there will be a 9 month wait before you can apply for the SMI loan again, so the sooner you start a claim for UC the better it will be for you.

There's a 5 week wait for payments to start and your child tax credits will transfer to UC. When you claim UC because you daughter doesn't have a PIP award then you will need to complete the job searches etc as part of your UC claimant agreement, if you don't then they will sanction you.

If your daughters PIP Tribunal decision goes in her favour and she's awarded the daily living part then your job searches will be switched off because of your caring responsibilities with your daughter. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

Ive spoke about universal credit with a charity also.I need to apply for backdated tax credits once the pip comes through.I have to pay someone back for helping through this difficult time.
Sign in or join us to comment.