Can I request a home assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I request a home assessment?

System Posts: 702

Scope community team

edited November 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
This discussion was created from comments split from: Dealing with doctors.


  • gts
    gts Member Posts: 13 Listener
    HI all ive been a bit depressed lately however i went for a fitnote yesterday & was seen by another doctor just by chance ? what a man he gave me a 6month fitnote unlike the goverment biased doctor i normally see. And he wrote Severe pulmonary fibrosis progressive lung condition under specialist respiratory consultant will not be fit to return to any type of work in future due to breathlessness at rest. This is the truth & to think my previous doctor kept saying when will you be ok for work ? it`s nice to know there are genuine doctors out there. I have a WCA for UC coming up ? can i request a home visit & audio recording as my ESA assessment was a tissue of lie`s & i stated in my appeal process to check out the CCTV camera`s in the assessment centre & that would prove the assessor was lying about my mobilty & guess what they said they could`nt be used ? how convenient for them lie after lie after lie ? i get 10 offers for work every day ( ELECTRICIAN) do they honestly think i`m better off on benefits it`s all a joke. i just hope this open  up doors for me as all i want is justice ? i`ve paid tax & ni all my life ? also if i get LCWRA this wont affect my industrial injuries benefit. No wonder the govt pay maximus fortunes for lying through their teeth & profits have quadrupled in 8 years for these companies what a twisted world we live in i rest my peace folks.
  • Andrew45
    Andrew45 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    you will need that considerate doctor to write you a letter asking for a home assessment, you can also ask CAB for a councillor to help you in your interview, I've been through this with my Wife who suffers from MS, we had an assessor from Glasgow , and we live in Norfolk, what a great way to save money. 
  • gem82
    gem82 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    yeah I agree go back and see to he doctor you saw before he sounds like he understands you more. and im guessing he will have no problems writing you a sportive letter for you home visit. finding a good and understanding doctor is very hard. hope you get it all sorted.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,425 Disability Gamechanger

    You will need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why a home assessment is needed. A fit note will not help you have a home assessment and it's not classed as evidence for a claim for LCWRA. Other evidence will be needed to support your claim.

    Your Industrial injuries benefit will affect any Universal credit you can claim because it's a means tested benefit. It doesn't affect contributions based benefits but UC isn't contributions based. Do DWP know you're receiving the IIB?
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    You do not necessarily need a letter from your GP although it may help in some circumstances. What you need to do is to request a HV as a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act 2010. Do it in writing and keep a copy. Explain in detail why each alternative form of transport is not appropriate for you. That means the assessment provider can only refuse using one of the 5 legitimate reasons for refusal and means that you can threaten them with an ET if they do refuse.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.