In desperate need of friends and help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In desperate need of friends and help

Options
paddy1970
paddy1970 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
hello to everyone here, ok please be gentle!!! This is a first for me so writing down my thoughts and wishes may be long, so grab a coffee and a digestive sit back and watch me rabble on. 
Ok, so im 48 in december i have a lovely partner and three wonderful children ( most of the time ). I am disabled due to legs spine and heart troubles but 20 tablets a day seems to help!! I get around on a electric wheelchair which i had changed around for my needs and comfort, i really couldnt live without it. Im looking at finding friends as I have none, my misses has a couple of friends but I miss having someone too call and do things with, I have no friends as we moved down here 7 years ago and my health got much worse and my old friends are now 170 miles away. I’m desperately wanting to find someone who is knowledgeable in engineering / wiring / mechanics. The reason behind this is so I can build my very own wheelchair, I’ve been given a website that tells me how to build one from scratch, but doing this myself would just be impossible for me to complete as I struggle to even understand some of the lingo used. I think I’ve gone on enough now and your coffee is probably cold and the digestive probably gone off.... love and peace people, @paddy1970

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @paddy1970

Have you looked around for any local groups to you? Your GP surgery or local library can have a lot of information about meetings and groups near to you.  You might also like to speak to the charity Remap, they have volunteers all over the UK who make and adapt free equipment for disabled people and they may have people near you! @DavidM is from Remap and is a member here.

Meetup is a website where you can search for groups by interest and location, so that might be a good place to look too.

Till you find something though, do take a look around the community and jump in and get involved, we are a friendly bunch!

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • DavidM
    DavidM Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Options
    Yes, here at Remap we have a network of 900+ volunteers who are skilled engineers, technicians and makers who love designing and making equipment for and with disabled people. Ring us @paddy1970 on 01732 760209 to get details of your nearest group, or pop your postcode on https://www.remap.org.uk/contact-remap/ Everything we do is free and just for you!
  • Lisa2006
    Lisa2006 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi I would really like a friend I’m so cut off from the outside world
  • Beth_Sunshine
    Beth_Sunshine Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I completey understand how you feel I do have friends but I hardly see or talk to them as while I'm stick at home going stir crazy there working raising children ect. I hope you find what your looking for. Beth 
  • paddy1970
    Options
    Wow, so many reply’s, look out Kim Kardashian. Thank you all for your supporting messages.
    @Lisa2006 I’m always here for a friendly chat, you got a friend in me.
    @Beth_Sunshine thank you 
    @DavidM that sounds absolutely awesome I’m going to call today thank you
    @Sam_Scope thank you for pushing me in the right direction, your advise was priceless.
    thank you all again for your advise and caring messages

• cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Options
    Lisa2006 said:
    Hi I would really like a friend I’m so cut off from the outside world
    You' can start right here on the forum. 
    We call care about each other. Can you find some activity - church, social group, book circle - that you might join?

Keep posting. Things will work out, given the excellent advice others have given you.
  • Amikal
    Amikal Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    Hi @Lisa2006 @paddy1970, you can send me a message here anytime, Unfortunately I cannot use the phone due to my deafness. Please feel free to read my blog to get to know me better... https://mynonvisualstruggles.blogspot.com/
  • helen73
    helen73 Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hi @paddy1970 @Lisa2006 I understand how you feel and would love to be your friend. I feel so alone and just want friends who genuinely understand my daily struggle who don't think that I'm winging or trying to get sympathy or attention which isn't true I just want a friend who understands including when I cancel arrangements as I suffer so much guilt from doing that even my family get annoyed. Only person who totally understood was my mum but she died 18 months ago since then I've felt unbelievably alone.
    What kind of things do you enjoy doing? Where abouts are you love? I'm in Sheffield South Yorkshire 
  • paddy1970
    Options
    It’s nice to hear from you all, @helen73 I totally get you, I understand also why some people don’t get you too, I feel we’re in the same boat. Some people don’t get the struggles we have as they have never had to struggle, I never understood the difficulties until I ended up in a wheelchair, I must admit though there are some wonderful people out there that really just want to help you out. Coming on here has helped me too.
    ok about me time ?, I like being crafty, glitter has become a friend, I have built a dolls house for my daughter and found out I’m pretty good at it ? I live in Eastbourne East Sussex, but Sheffield sounds great, I’ve always said to myself at some point I will go to Yorkshire, I don’t know why but maybe it will come to me when I’m there ?. Going back to what you said about your mum was the only one that truly got you, there’s loads of us on here that gets you too and I’m a message away anytime.
    @Amikal I will be reading your blog and getting to know you, I hope to speak soon, thank you all for your kind words.
  • Patsy166
    Patsy166 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I hope you get to Yorkshire I love it there. I’m also here for a chat anytime 
  • ncps
    ncps Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Options
    I have set up a website and I would like to include a page which has a list of contact emails on, these will be of people who have chronic pain and want to support others by chatting over email. Is anyone interested? do you think its a good idea? have a look at my website.. www.ncpsuk.com

Lou

Northants chronic pain support

www.ncpsuk.com

• Amikal
    Options
    @paddy1970 you’re most welcome. I look forward to speaking to you soon. 
  • Amikal
    Options
    @ncps great idea,all the best. https://mynonvisualstruggles.blogspot.com/ Please check my blog ,if you know anyone that needs my help I’m also on Twitter @Amikal24

• Lisa2006
    Options
    Hi, I completey understand how you feel I do have friends but I hardly see or talk to them as while I'm stick at home going stir crazy there working raising children ect. I hope you find what your looking for. Beth 

• Lisa2006
    Options
    Type your commentthankyou Beth.you  are right everybody is so busy And they tend to leave you behind

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.