is it possible to act as agent in contact with UC on behalf of disabled relative ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

is it possible to act as agent in contact with UC on behalf of disabled relative ?

System
System Posts: 761 Scope online community team
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
This discussion was created from comments split from: Universal Credit Information.

Comments

• Magnoliabloom
    Magnoliabloom Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hello,  Question for disability advisor . Disabled family member moving to Universal Credit. I have acted as" agent"
     with HMRC ( tax credits) this has been helpful as permission is given for me to phone in on her behalf with questions or change of circumstances. We were reluctant to be " Appointee " which I believe means I take over full  legal responsibility- this is not necessary and removes independence .  With UC is it possible to  act as agent in contact with UC on behalf of disabled relative ?  if so how is this organised please ?
    Cannot find any detail on DWP web site of what arrangement to support may be possible except  nominate appointee.     Thank you.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Magnoliabloom, thanks for sharing this with us. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this myself, but I wonder if @Zoe_Scope could advise?
  • siobhan1
    siobhan1 Member Posts: 77 Pioneering
    DWP have explicit consent explained above and implied consent.@mikehughescq is correct the department should continue to deal with you once consent is given. A lot of telephony agents or UC agents will try to say otherwise but you have to be persistent.

In my experience a lot of bad habits are spread around contact centres and picked up by people who don't understand or haven't read guidance. I have put in 2 customer service complaints against the same person at Blackpool who still outright refuses to let me use explicit consent when I call for my partner, and they still haven't got the memo ?? 

DWP implied consent policy is that you can call and deal with the department about anyone if you have their permission...  and are prepared to answer security questions you would only be able to answer as their representative.

For example a wife calls to discuss her husband's benefit claim, she knows personal info about the claimant and complex info on the claim such as bank account details, amounts paid etc... very little data would be protected by refusing to deal with her regarding the claim because she already has access to the information and it is implied that she would have her husband's consent to speak on his behalf.

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Member Posts: 525 Pioneering
    They only way UC with deal with me on my sons behalf was if I was his appointee. Which I now am. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.