I'm hoping to stop work to look after my health and be a full-time carer, please help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I'm hoping to stop work to look after my health and be a full-time carer, please help

System Posts: 755 Scope online community team
edited November 2018 in Work and employment
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is Poppys!.


  • Poppys
    Poppys Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you everyone for your kind words 
    I would like to ask ive been off work with high blood pressure and depression i look after my disabled partner who had a stroke 10 years ago doctors advised to give work up as i feel work is to much now would like some advise how i go about it kind reguards 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Poppys, hopefully our members will be able to offer you some guidance with this. Do you claim any benefits at the moment?

    @BenefitsTrainingCo left this detailed reply on a similar discussion earlier this year:
    What benefits you can calm will depend on your circumstances.  For example if you have paid sufficient national insurance contributions you can claim contributory based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). The last 2 tax years will be considered when assessing if you are entitled to this benefit. It can be difficult to know whether sufficient national ins. conts, have been paid, and so if you have worked during this time it is always worth putting in a claim to see if you are entitled.  Contributory based ESA is also non-means tested which means that it does not matter if you have savings or (sometimes) other income.  If you are awarded this benefit sometimes it can last just 12 months, so please post again for further information if awarded.  The below is a link to an explanation of ESA on the scope website.

    You may also be entitled to means tested benefits such as income related ESA/housing benefit (if you rent property)/council tax reduction or Universal Credit.  Which benefit you claim depends on the area you live.  I have put a link below so you can see if you are in a Universal Credit area or not:

    The following links are a more in depth explanation of Universal Credit and Housing Benefit. 

    As income related ESA, Housing Benefit and Universal Credit are means tested, any capital you have or income could effect benefit entitlement.  If you have a partner or spouse who you live with then their income and the hours they work can also effect entitlement to benefit. 
    There is also industrial injuries benefit if you are ill due to an accident at work or have a prescribed illness. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.