Carers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers

Petrina
Petrina Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi does anyone know how you go about getting money for someone looking after you .

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Hi @Petrina
    A carer could get £64.60 a week if  they care for someone at least 35 hours a week and that person get certain benefits.

There is more information about Carers Allowance here:

Eligibility

The person you care for

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

• Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Your eligibility

You must earn no more than £120 a week after tax and expenses. Expenses can include:

• 50% of your pension contributions
    • some of the costs of caring for your children or the disabled person while you’re at work

All of the following must also apply:

• you’re 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you’re not subject to immigration control
    To make a claim for Carers Allowance, go to this link.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Petrina
    Petrina Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Can someone get it if they are working
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't claim any money for someone that looks after you. As advised in the post above, a person can claim carers allowance for you. To claim this you must be claiming a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care, PIP daily living or Attendance allowance.

The person that's looking after you will claim the carers allowance for their self but they can't claim this if they work 16 hours or more per week and earn more than £120 per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Grahamb
    Grahamb Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Don't forget that when you collect a your old age pension you lose carers allowance immediately. You carry on caring, you get older and more infirm, suffer stress, sleeplessness and illness yourself and also the cared for person and you will get nothing more than your pension. Some life!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    You get an underlying entitlement to CA. This means you it can increase any means tested benefits you're already getting, or it can mean you'll become entitled to them for the first time. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/other-pension-age-benefits

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.