Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

ESA refund issue

SystemSystem Posts: 489 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is robbie23568!.

Replies

• robbie23568robbie23568 Member Posts: 18 Listener
    Hi i am on esa cont based,i completed the refund form a month ago and posted it .i saw something on the net that dwp are disregarding £5000 of refunded money and then reducing benefits for 12 months only.I cant understand how they can do this as most of the refund is payable from quite a few years before the benefit cap.Also people will only have the refund due to dwp's error 
    Hi everyone ,i am 50yr old married. I addisons disease,all disc prolapsed,arthritis,osteoporosis,stroke survivor live nr Manchester 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    The benefit cap doesn't apply to those in the Support Group for ESA. The underpayment concerns all those that moved from IB to ESA Support Group. I'm not sure what it was that you read but it's not correct.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    I moved from incapcity to esa cont based.when i rang dwp about refund i was told wasnt entitled to any as they transferred me to esa income related in 2014.I have 3 letters they sent me stating i am still on cont based esa so theyre trying to pull wool over our eyes.i have never been on income related so i am due a refund from 2011 to present day.
    I moved from incapcity to esa cont based.when i rang dwp about refund i was told wasnt entitled to any as they transferred me to esa income related in 2014.I have 3 letters they sent me stating i am still on cont based esa so theyre trying to pull wool over our eyes.i have never been on income related so i am due a refund from 2011 to present day.
    ESA support group Income related is £127.15 per week from April 2018, less in previous years. If you are one of those that were affected by the error then DWP will contact you.

Sometimes award letters can be very confusing.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    The benefit cap doesn't apply to those in the Support Group for ESA. The underpayment concerns all those that moved from IB to ESA Support Group. I'm not sure what it was that you read but it's not correct.
    Hi i did not mention a benefit cap,i was put on esa cont based from incapacity benefit
    edited March 2019
    Hi i am on esa cont based,i completed the refund form a month ago and posted it .i saw something on the net that dwp are disregarding £5000 of refunded money and then reducing benefits for 12 months only.I cant understand how they can do this as most of the refund is payable from quite a few years before the benefit cap.Also people will only have the refund due to dwp's error 
    You mentioned the benefit cap here in a previous reply.
    Thanks i understand now
Sign in or join us to comment.