PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can I ask for a home visit on behalf of my dad?

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is JimJims!.

Replies

• JimJimsJimJims Member Posts: 2 Listener
    My father is 64 years old & been on benefits for 10 years, he is on ESA higher component & PIP Higher component & is in the no workgroup. he as just received the letter to attend a medical he is pretty much bed bound it's very difficult for him to get out of the house these day's & the job centre is 18 miles away this is presenting him with anxiety & thoughts of death racing through his head he can't sleep or eat! I am Mr Wilmot's daughter writing this for him my name is Kelly, can I ask for a home visit? 
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JimJims, how are you doing? Have you asked for a home assessment as a reasonable adjustment already? Do let us know and we'll do our best to advise.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your dad will need to ring the number on the letter to request the home assessment. If you're not his appointee then he'll need to ring himself, go through security questions and then you'll be able to speak on his behalf.

A letter from his GP with the reasons why he's unable to attend will be needed but if he attends other appointments they could say that as he attends those then he can attend the assessment centre.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • streestree Member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Kelly you could get a taxi and the expenses will be paid, you will get a claim form at reception at the appointment.
    Poppy has covered the rest, a letter from the GP will (should) carry a lot of influence.
    Are you his official carer? It may be easier to represent him if you are.
    Wishing you well.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    They won't just refund your taxi cost. You need to ask them first otherwise there's a high chance they won't refund your costs.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.