Visual and hearing impairments
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Glue ear and gromits surgery

SystemSystem Posts: 520

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Glue Ear.

Replies

• Bex12Bex12 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    My daughter has glue ear. She only had two earing tests. I have been going to docs best part of a year with her not hearing they said it was just a infection. Told them school had noticed so sent me to hospital. They found her right ear worse than her left. On second appointment her left ear had got so bad she needs op for gromits asap. But then they mentioned it might not work as her ear canal is failing so she may have to have a thing implanted in her head at back of her ear. I'm so upset for her and worried. As at first appointment it was gromits or hearing aids, now it's so bad she could be completely deaf. Anyone else in same situation or gone through this. Be good to talk to someone and have my worries put at ease. 
  • Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @Bex12 thank you for sharing this with us. How are you both doing today?

I am sorry to hear what your daughter has been going through. 

If your daughter was diagnosed within the past 12 months you may be able to access Navigate.  

Navigate provides a six week programme of online and telephone support to parents who have a child going through diagnosis or have a child who has recently been diagnosed with a disability. The aim is to provide parents of a child with a disability with emotional and practical support.

Please find more information from the link above or you can call on 0808 801 0510. Phones are also live from 9am - 8pm on Monday - Friday and 9am to 12pm on a Saturday.
    She has been diagnosed with glue ear in last 4 month. we just yesterday got her appointment through for next monday. 
    We are good today too I'm just worried for her and thank you for the information. Is she classed as having a disability? 
  • Emma_ScopeEmma_Scope Scope Navigate service Posts: 51 Courageous
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Bex12

This may be a good website for you to visit to find out more - https://www.ndcs.org.uk/information-and-support/childhood-deafness/causes-of-deafness/glue-ear/ .

On this page is does state that:

"If your child's glue ear is likely to, or has, lasted for at least 12 months, without clearing up, then your child may be regarded as having a disability under the Equality Act."

It may be worth contacting the Scope helpline on 0808 8003333 to speak to someone, or if you feel the Navigate service could help you make a online referral or call the number above.

Hope this helps.

Emma Bailey
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate Team at Scope
  • dolfrogdolfrog Member Posts: 440 Pioneering
    Glue ear, or its technical term Otitis Media with Effusion, is one way children can acquire Auditory Processing Disorder (APD), a listening disability, the brain having problems processing what the ears hear. There are various types of APD and you may need to locate a UK audiologists trained and qualified to assess and diagnose APD, Currently there are are vary few adequately trained UK audiologists. The same applies to the multi discipline support team recommend by the Medical Research Council which should consist of an audiologist, a speech and language pathologist, and a psychologists, all of whom describe the same isseus using different terminology to promote and market their careers. 
Sign in or join us to comment.