PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Faking disability

SystemSystem Posts: 520

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Pip fakers.

Replies

• ShameOnYouShameOnYou Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've known a person for 10/years that I've reported a few times  that is faking disability so they don't have to work and they joke about how easy it is to get it she can't walk far needs aids  she can't go out for long because she's Incontinence
    she can't bend over because of her back  for this she gets DLA she ain't been put on pip yet hoping soon so they can see she's faking it   how do I know she is like I've said known her for 10 years she carriers car tyres 1 in each hand when they made a tyre wall in the back garden for someone that can't walk or bend from a bad back its a good 50 feet from where she parks the car to her house  unaided and carrying these tyres  and with the Incontinence she takes kids to the farm for 5 hours at a time without going to the toilet she admits she's not even disabled  and no one cares that she's doing it and dla say its fraud but do nothing about it seeing I've reported it 6 times
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    @amyfibro said

I have non hodgkins lymphoma and fibromyalgia, hypertension etc. To a normal person i look well enough but my illnesses cause me so much pain, but i hide it well. I find it hard to chew food and you'll never guess what the assesor wrote lol "i look like i take good nutrition" in other words im fat lol. I take steroids and other concoction of medication, but what im trying to say is unless you have concrete evidence its fraud its best not to assume as most disabilities are not visible. Im a prime example of that!

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    My daughter has autism, learning disability and social anxiety disorder. The only people she speaks to is myself and my daughter, she's never been anywhere alone, can't be left alone yet to look at her she looks normal. She claims Enhanced PIP for both. Invisible conditions do exist and you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. I agree with @Sam_Scope unless you have evidence you can't prove this person is doing anything wrong.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • mercedesbdmercedesbd Member Posts: 109 Courageous
    Not being funny as everyone else says not every disability is visual, even if someone is claiming why stick your nose in? You physically don’t know what they’re actually claiming for they could be to ashamed to tell you.. so blame the actual disability on something else, as I have many many problems but all I tell my friends and distant family that I get it for is pain in my back and legs but believe me it’s many more then that don’t see them reporting me? You must be jealous and I can assure you 

Raining on someone else’s parade will only backfire and karma will bite you back 50 x harder weather it’s now or 20 years time just leave DWP to work out the fraudsters, the assessors seem to be good at this by the sounds of it.  You never know what’s going on behind closed doors
  • MisscleoMisscleo Member Posts: 646 Pioneering
    Well said everyone. Too many people pick on disabled people. 
    Try giving her a hand next time your watching her struggle with something heavy.
    If we cant get help with heavy stuff, we HAVE to do it ourselves but it kills us
    Had 4 days in bed recently cos i had to move something by my self
  • madquasimodomadquasimodo Member Posts: 130 Courageous
    I know someone who was/is on DLA and was suffering from Schizophrenia, he was asked to transfer to PIP but somehow did not, he has just been cleared from that illness and it was found to be drug induced Psychosis, bad enough but it only happens when he smokes the weed. 
    He is still on DLA and its still unchanged, they still have not had his F2F, he is from the old days when you just asked and they gave it.
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    I know someone who was/is on DLA and was suffering from Schizophrenia, he was asked to transfer to PIP but somehow did not, he has just been cleared from that illness and it was found to be drug induced Psychosis, bad enough but it only happens when he smokes the weed. 
    He is still on DLA and its still unchanged, they still have not had his F2F, he is from the old days when you just asked and they gave it.
    In a way I have to agree with you. For many years when awarded DLA High Mobility & Middle Care I could honestly say that I had no real idea why I received such an award. I didn't consider myself as being disabled in the true sense of the word. The 'disability' never interfered with my life including working. 

I suppose I used to think that well if they have decided to award me this money who am I to turn it down. Those were the days when there were very few assessments and evidence was not needed. They awarded it based on what was on the form and how well it was professionally completed.

Come PIP it all changed. I managed to scrape standard care based on 4 sets of aids that I use.

• AmathystAmathyst Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I actually know of someone who is doing the same thing and when my Mum told her off and said it was because she was too lazy to go and find a job she told my Mum she didn't want to a job. She invents illnesses which she goes to the doctors with, they will give her blood tests or send her to the hospital for something and it will come back fine. She doesn't fit any of the PIP descriptors and was last year turned down when she was going from DLA to PIP because half of the stuff that was on her form was lies and she had no evidence for it. she pretty much ran off to my Mum bragging that she has an assessment next week for PIP, my Mum proceeded to have a go at her yet again and told her she was committing fraud. Yes, the woman is a bit slow (I don't know if that's the right term to use) but she cooks, cleans, bathes, looks after her cat, does the shopping etc. on her own. Her problem is that the whole family is doing this, it's learned behaviour and her Mum when she was thinking about cancelling the assessment actually told her they will stop her ESA... 

The woman makes me very angry, there are people who get turned down for these benefits and are legitimately ill. I received a letter from Capita yesterday and had a mega anxiety/panic attack before the letter was even opened, it was an information pack is all. I got worked up over nothing basically. I was then ill for the rest of the day.
Sign in or join us to comment.