PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Is it reviewed 14 weeks before the end of the award?

SystemSystem Posts: 544

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: CLARIFICATION ON PIP REVIEW TIME.

Replies

• Adi72Adi72 Member Posts: 47 Connected
    @poppy123456 I wanted to message you regards to my situation with pip.Ive been very confused as I have been to my daughters tribunal with my daughter after applying for her and she won.The tribunal was gruelling and not the best but she won which is a relief after 14 months of waiting.Ive seen you answer others questions of when is it reviewed and am I right in saying its 14 weeks before the end of the award if it been given by a tribunal?I was scared that jt may be reviewed 1 year before like alot are saying it will be which would mean applying again in May this year. My daughter has a benefits advisor and he said to apply for the SOR to see their reasons for only giving a 2 year award but I dont want to do that incase it triggers them to appeal the decision. Its all so stressful.I notice you all apply for your daughter.My main concern is that when ever she(i) has to reapply that whether that is 1 year,6 months or 14 weeks before there is a strong chance the benefit will be stopped if not reawarded and then waiting 1 year or so for the tribunal again. Is this the norm in your experience? Thanks Poppy Adi
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adi72 hi,

Great news! Yes DWP will contact you 14 weeks before the award is due to end. You will then be sent more PIP2 forms. As for awards stopping at reviews etc then yes it can and does happen, unfortunately. It's a viscous circle.

When you do receive the forms make sure you fill them in with as much information as possible about how her conditions affect her. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to her. Then send evidence to prove it with the forms.

Asking HMCTS for the SOR won't trigger DWP to appeal. Neither of you can appeal unless an error in law had been found anyway. You and DWP have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the SOR. If DWP request this and sometimes they do, it doesn't mean they are going to appeal.

Backdated money can take 8 weeks.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Ahhh thankyou @poppy123456 for you swift reply.What has your experience been with regards to reapplying?And do you think its better to be reviews 14 weeks before or 6 months to 1 year before?I beleive the 14 months is a new thing they are doing?

I feel as though if you are bound to go to tribunal again then maybe its better I dont know😔

Have you had to go to tribunals often and are most reviews succesful(like 71% of first tribunals are)?

I dont think I need to ask for a SOR as the benefits guy said to know why they gave a 2 year award but I dint need to know,it wouldnt really do anything as such ir be helpful.Ill just reapply and follow the advice you have given I think.

Do most reviews take over a year?Meaning when they make a decision at application stage that its inevitable it goes to tribunal a year later.

Thanku poppy
    @poppy123456 In your experience do you think its better to apply at 14 weeks before or 6 months before?There is maybe a good chance it would be stopped if you alply early?

What do you do?

Adi
    @poppy123456 Yikes my spellings!Im tired😟
    Adi72 said:
    Ahhh thankyou @poppy123456 for you swift reply.What has your experience been with regards to reapplying?And do you think its better to be reviews 14 weeks before or 6 months to 1 year before?I beleive the 14 months is a new thing they are doing?

I feel as though if you are bound to go to tribunal again then maybe its better I dont know😔

Have you had to go to tribunals often and are most reviews succesful(like 71% of first tribunals are)?

I dont think I need to ask for a SOR as the benefits guy said to know why they gave a 2 year award but I dint need to know,it wouldnt really do anything as such ir be helpful.Ill just reapply and follow the advice you have given I think.

Do most reviews take over a year?Meaning when they make a decision at application stage that its inevitable it goes to tribunal a year later.

Thanku poppy
    No problem. Reviews take place 1 year before if the award is given by DWP not 6 months before, well the AR1 forms are sent 1 year before.

Personally i think i would prefer 14 weeks before, at least this way if you're not awarded then you won't lose as much money, if any. With awards given by Tribunal if a decision isn't made by the end date the payments will stop. If successfully awarded then payments will be backdated to the date they stopped. If you're reviewed and a decision is made before the end of the award and they mostly are, if you're not successful then payments stop 4 weeks later.

I've been lucky for myself and my daughter, we've never had to go to Tribunal because all awards have been successful. I've recently been through a first review for my daughter and she received the same award again Enhanced for both. Although for yet another short length of time and the reason i was given was because of her age she could improve.... She has ASD and a learning disability... i didn't realise there was a cure for either of these. I've had 1 review which was also successful, with my award increasing.

Length of time a review can take depends on backlogs. My daughters form was received at DWP beginning of December and a decision was made March 13th with a paper based assessment.

Hope this helps.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 Good to hear you didnt have to go through tribunal stage.My daughters took 14 months.So aweful.The thought of going through this again is horrible.The tribunal were not kind and were very sarcastic to my daughter who could barely speak.Ive heard they can be like this sometimes.

But tbe positive is she got it and now I will get my carers and tax credits again.I am dreading next year as I feel itll be the same stress.If weve been to tribunal once she will have to go again.Also does the process take as long at reappyig stage?

Thanks Poppy😍
    There's never any timescales for reviews, re-applying or applying for the first time. Backlogs is just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. All claims should be treated as first time claims whether it's a review or not.
    @poppy123456 Thanku.I know its tough for most people.How do most people who have to pay for their normal daily living rent etc survive?If every other year you go without money for a year?Just wondered how others manage.

Btw your support is amazing to alot of people on her so thanku so much
    You're welcome. For those that don't work or have low income then housing benefit/universal credit help with rent payments.
    @poppy123456 Hello.I just wondered if my daughters review isnt succesful can we do a manditory reconsideration like I did last time.Its such a shame we may have to go down the tribunal route again mainly because it takes so long and its so stressful.
    Also what form do they send?Is it the pip2?like the original form.

Thanks Poppy
    Yes, you can request the MR. It will be a PIP2 form (original)  but to be honest it makes no difference what form because all claims should be treated as a new claim whether it's a review or not.

I would start to gather some evidence a few months before.
    @poppy123456 Thank you.Can I use old evidence or is it nust new?
    Send any relevant evidence you have.
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    Am I confused? I thought PIP was given in view of the extra costs that a disability creates and not something  to be simply added to the day to day living expenses pot?
    I can see ESA/UC monies as being an income replacement but why PIP? Housing Benefit helps with the rent.
Sign in or join us to comment.