PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can DWP use PIP outcome to reduce ESA benefits?

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: PIP assessment report and Decision makers conclusion.

Replies

• EnglishCapricornEnglishCapricorn Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi everyone, I've read most of the thread here but it don't seem to answer the questions I have?   My daughter is a social worker and I've emailed her some quiestions and copy and pasted them here below. Any information wod be much appriciated:

Hi, I've got a few questions to ask if you don't mind. I got a letter from DWP this morning reducing my ESA and moving me from the Support Group to the work related group. I'm confused? I guess the quiestion is, can the dwp use the pip outcome  to reduce the ESA benifits and should I be appealing the ESA decision? I'm confused. :(
    Also, does the pip outcome allow the dwp to move you from the Support Group to the work related group? They ha e reduced the money I grt massively and put me in the work related group? I just need some clarification really... and I guess your the best person to ask?
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP does not affect other benefits.

I suggest that you ask DWP if less ESA is payable if you are in the work related group than if you are in the support group.

Also you can phone Scope helpline and/or ask CAB or similar.

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @EnglishCapricorn and welcome

Have you recently had an ESA review ?
    Have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration ?

Have you had a PIP review ?

PIP and ESA are separate benefits and one should not impact on the other
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi everyone, I've read most of the thread here but it don't seem to answer the questions I have?   My daughter is a social worker and I've emailed her some quiestions and copy and pasted them here below. Any information wod be much appriciated:

Hi, I've got a few questions to ask if you don't mind. I got a letter from DWP this morning reducing my ESA and moving me from the Support Group to the work related group. I'm confused? I guess the quiestion is, can the dwp use the pip outcome  to reduce the ESA benifits and should I be appealing the ESA decision? I'm confused. :(
    Also, does the pip outcome allow the dwp to move you from the Support Group to the work related group? They ha e reduced the money I grt massively and put me in the work related group? I just need some clarification really... and I guess your the best person to ask?
    Hi,

I'm assuming you've recently been re-assessed for ESA? It's certainly possible to be moved from one group to the other after being re-assessed. It probably wasn't anything to do with a PIP decision because they're different benefits.

WRAG is less money than Support Group. How much less will depend on when you applied for ESA. If you first applied after April 2017 then you'll only receive £73.10 per week. £102 approximately, if you applied before April 2017. This can be increased depending on what PIP award you have and your circumstances.

If you disagree with the decision they you have 1 month to request the mandatory reconsideration. I'd advise you to speak to an advice centre near you for help and advice.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • EnglishCapricornEnglishCapricorn Member Posts: 3 Listener
    @poppy123456 Really!? Now I'm even more confused? 
    What are you confused about? Have you recently been re-assessed for ESA?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Member Posts: 858 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    @poppy123456 You know me 😊 I will also put the evidence regarding why. and @Matilda

I beg to disagree they do use PIP, and ESA have been sharing this information and it does work with each other despite being two different benefits, I had an ESA award used for my DLA.

The DWP have bee sharing information for years and here is some proof.

Also to note the DWP are also trying to merge PIP, UC, ESA as ONE assessment, I do campaigning and have argued PIP is PIP not anything else.

Heres my part of the letter I've sent and sent other evidence explaining it all.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

In fact I have added it here to prove ESA was used on my DLA award.

So always be mindful your information is shared across all benefits. Period.

⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

They are different benefits but they can use either one of the awards for evidence for the other. BUT it does depend on your reasons why you're claiming.

For example....for me i claim Enhanced mobility PIP because i can't walk more the 20 metres. My most recent ESA assessment they used my PIP mobility award (and other medical evidence) and i remained in the Support Group but this was because i sent my PIP award and assessment report as evidence. Whether they automatically look if you don't send the evidence in i have no idea.

They just wouldn't automatically move you from one group to the other without being re-assessed.
    edited March 2019
    @poppy123456 hope your ok, I'm of on Sunday❤️ 

I agree with you, but I have so much information from contacts regarding this does in fact go on and in a good few cases causing BIG issues.

A clip from my PIP clearly stating, and covers both for PIP, ESA as this one sentence covers both the PIP and ESA descriptor.

⬇️

• twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    The DWP are not bound by any regulation as to what evidence can be used for any benefit. They can and do use both ESA, DLA and PIP claims, assessment reports etc from one for another. They can even look at social media (facebook) to see if there is any evidence which might be helpful.
    It used to be a favourite in cases where it was said that the claimant cannot and does not drive and has no access to a car. Yet the Tesco Clubcard and Nectar data shows regular visits to put fuel in a car.  
Sign in or join us to comment.