Mental health issues
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Being made more aware of mental health

SystemSystem Posts: 543

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, I'm Mick, Ask me questions about mental health today.

Replies

• Leon630Leon630 Member Posts: 24 Connected

Hi Mick,

Thank you for starting this thread and understanding how mental health affects people in so many different ways.

My story is, I have had two nervous break downs due to an abusive marriage. I finally left. I have not recovered from the last one. This is now more than 20 years ago.

I suffer from agoraphobia, social phobia and fragile personality disorder as diagnosed by my GP. However, I managed to get myself a job caring for my parents. I could not have done this for someone I did not know and my parents were aware of my condition. I was paid through the Direct Payments scheme, so a proper wage, tax, NI contributions. I managed this by leaving my house at 5.30am as there would be no one around. My 'coping mechanism' at the time.

In April 2016, I woke up one morning and my lower body had become numb. For want of a more subtle way of saying, I was unable to use the toilet either end and my legs are numb also.. This has not improved and I had a relapse April last year.

I was a physically strong person before this happened and it has had such a detrimental effect on my mental health. I no longer go out as I have lost the confidence.

Neither of my disabilities are visible to others and I think that is why mental health needs to be made more aware of.

I hope my post makes sense.

Thank you.

Sign in or join us to comment.