Parents, carers and disabled parents
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

EHCP

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Education Health and Care Plans.

Replies

• CazWgUk61CazWgUk61 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    My son has one and has been in education up to this year he's 23 now the local council say he can no longer stay in education ? Is there anything I can do? Thanks 
  • forgoodnesssakeforgoodnesssake Member Posts: 356 Pioneering
    Whilst disabled young people up to the age of 25 CAN have an EHCP, it is dependent on them being in education, either school or college,( ie Further Education) or some other scheme that is accepted as being educational and for the right number of hours per week.  It is extremely important to be aware that EHCPs do NOT cover Higher Education (ie University) and so any disabled young person who moves into HE will no longer be eligible for an EHCP.  There is still a lot of mis-infomation around about this issue, and sometimes from people who should definitely know better!  It is a ridiculous situation that is explained away by saying that Uni funding is centralised rather than local, as with FE college etc!!
  • Emma_ScopeEmma_Scope Scope Navigate service Posts: 51 Courageous
    Hi @CazWgUk61

It may be worth finding out, if you haven't already, who your local Parent Partnership Service (PPS) is. If you Google Parent Partnership Service and the area you live in you should find a link. Either than are searching for your Local Offer for further support.

The PPS provide guidance and advice on special education needs and yours and your sons rights.

Hope this helps x
    Emma Bailey
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate Team at Scope
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CazWgUk61, I am tagging @melaniethorley who is our disabled student advisor, she may be able to offer some more advice here :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • melaniethorleymelaniethorley Member Posts: 138 Pioneering

Good morning @CazWgUk61 and all. I would advised exactly what my colleagues have already said. your local authority has an obligation to support your son until he is 25. Disability Right UK are your worth looking at for advice on this:

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

Is there any specific course or level your son wants to study?

Sign in or join us to comment.