More support regarding mental health, PIP and financial — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

More support regarding mental health, PIP and financial

System Posts: 703

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, I'm Mick, Ask me questions about mental health today.


  • imartin
    imartin Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Good morning, I am asking on behalf of a friends son who is 19, lets call him W.  W has autism. he is deaf and has slight brain damage from meningitis.  My friend has recently separated from his wife ( step mother to children), it has now become apparent that  there was a great deal of bullying and abuse from her towards everyone in the house.  W has taken a while to fully understand what has happened, although he knows his step mother shouted and could be unkind at times, he doesn't realise the extent of the abuse.  The family home now has to be sold, and there is uncertainty as to where the two boys and the father are going to live.  His father works , but doesn't earn a great deal, his brother also works,W has a job, which is a "0 hours " contract job as a porter at the local hospital.  His grandmother sought and facilitated this employment, but W is finding it hard to independently maintain this level of employment.  Just for a bit of background info, his mother decided to leave when he was 14 and move to America to be with her new husband!!.  There is a lot going on here, and have no idea where to start I think W receives PIP, but I feel he needs much more support than a financial payment, starting with his mental heath .  please can someone help??.  Thankyou
  • newborn
    newborn Member Posts: 741 Pioneering
    Others will know more, but there may be a source for help from more than one organisation.   Autistic organisations, deafness ones, learning disablility ones (and, probably, the local council duty of care to vulnerable young people under 25??)  

    Your friend has a lot to deal with, so he is lucky you are willing to help.   Presumably it will be upsetting for his son to have any change of routine, or any separation from the familiar company of his brother and father ? 

    Your friend will get legal advice, but presumably  his soon to be ex wife won't have equal claim to assets if he has a disabled adult child to house and support?   Is there a risk he and the two sons will be precariously housed, or will his share of the house as a deposit mean they can they rent a place on the earnings of father and son?     If grandmother is nearby, and if she and her home are familiar to the boy, might that be a back up possibility? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Good afternoon @imartin and thank you for taking the time to share this with us all! Support from specific organisations like the National Autistic Society, Action on Hearing Loss and Mencap may be able to offer more tailored advice for W. Furthermore, the PIP self- test can be used to give an indication about whether or not someone qualifies for PIP. However, please bare in mind that this isn't necessarily what an assessor would score W as. An indication of your vague location would allow us to sign post you to more specific support. I hope this is helpful and please do be in touch if you have any further questions :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.