Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Earning a few extra pennies

ross2503ross2503 Member Posts: 91 Pioneering
Hi
I've been a reader of this forum for a while and I've just created an account today to post this, just wanted to say how helpful this place is!

I'm in the support group but do voluntary work for a charity, but I'm curious if anyone has done any things, particularly online / from home, to earn a few extra pennies here and there. Me and my partner are saving up to move in together and I've been looking at various work from home opportunities that would bring in an extra few £ without impacting anything. Like survey answering, transcribing, micro jobs etc. Has anybody done anything lke this to earn a little bit? I just want to save as much as possible and spend some occasional time bringing in extra money for the household when we do live together.

I know there is the permitted work thing, but has anybody done any of the sort of things I listed above without letting the DWP / Jobcentre Plus know? My dealings with them in the past have made me want to avoid as much contact with them as possible as I'm sure many of you will understand. 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You will need to tell DWP before you earning any money from working because this is called permitted work. You're allowed to earn £131.50 without it affecting any of your other benefits. Please also be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your ESA claim then this could go against you when you're next re-assessed.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • LaughingLollyLaughingLolly Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    You can earn £20 a week disregarded. Keep books if you're self employed. 
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • veritercveriterc Member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    It would help if you could register at a Job Centre for freelance work from home.  Macmillan used to offer some opportunities for this type of work, and I went to an excellent seminar run by Jack Nunn where the room teemed with ideas.  Sadly Jack let, and Macmillan went over to offering 'volunteer' opportunities with themselves - unpaid of course.  I keep on getting asked to donate, but if I am not earning, where do I find the money ? !!! 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    You can earn £20 a week disregarded. Keep books if you're self employed. 
    Sorry but this is not correct. You can earn £131.50 per week when claiming ESA but it's called permitted work and you must tell DWP. Please read the link i posted above.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ross2503! I'm so glad you find the community helpful! Please do let us know if there is anything else that we can do to help :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • GarzaGarza Member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    i am not 100% sure but I think that if you move in with your partner and they work you will lose your ESA, that is certainly my understanding and my current position 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

Scope community team

Hello @Garza, I believe this depends on whether your ESA is contribution-based, has an income-related top up or is all income-based. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.