No contact from work — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

No contact from work

bbe72 Member Posts: 9 Listener
edited June 2019 in Work and employment
I have been off on long term sick for 8 months. Whilst work were paying sick pay they had regular contact with me. I saw the work occupational health who advised unlikely able to return to work & if did would have high sickness. Since this & my company sick pay stop I have only had one phone call from HR. She advised we now have to through the formal route of regular meetings, seeing if work can accommodate me or worse scenario I am dismissed on I'll health. That was few weeks ago. I have not heard from my manager since April. Should my work be doing more. Should I be having more help & contact from them. I have worked there for nearly 13years. Can they just dismiss me on I'll health or do they have to pay me severance. Do I need to do anything. How long should this go on for. Any advice would be appreciated 
Thank you x


  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    Have you emailed back? If there is no response I’d suggest looking for another job. Do you have a resume or not? 
  • bbe72
    bbe72 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    I cannot work at the moment due to my disability. I am not giving up 13years service without a fight. Surely there must be some law that protects me from being treated like this. I am covered under the discrimination law aswell  
  • pmb
    pmb Member Posts: 1 Listener
    First of all check your contract of employment
    check your employers policies and guidelines on sick pay 
    ask yourself have you complied with the companies requirements
    write a clear letter outlining your situation with dates of sickness and contact to date
    ask to meet with your manager or HR
    consider taking a union rep or advocate with you
    plan you meeting
    what do you want to ask?
    do you want to return to work.?Can you return to the job you were doing?
    can the company adapt you role to support you to return?
    If you cannot return to a working role because of illness or permanent disability and the company cannot adapt a role then they can terminate your contract with notice a you cannot fulfil your contractual obligation
    it's often a challenging situation to find yourself in so consider taking advice from citizens advice or disability advocacy groups in your area. They may advise that you seek independent legal advice.
    good luck

  • bbe72
    bbe72 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    @pmb thank you for your advice. Very helpful 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,565 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bbe72, I'm so sorry to hear this, it must be incredibly difficult! I would recommend getting professional advice about this as they will be the best people to advise you legally. ACAS  might be a good place to start. I really hope you can get things sorted! Please do keep us updated :)

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,178

    Scope community team

    edited June 2019
    Hi @bbe72.
    Sorry to read this, but if ACAS doesn’t pan out, you might try Equality Advisory and Support Service.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.