Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Carers Allowance has been removed from my UC

SystemSystem Posts: 491 Scope community team
edited July 2019 in Carer's allowance
This discussion was created from comments split from: carers allowance taken from universal credit..

Replies

• dpmwdpmw Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi, 

I claim Carers Allowance, last month I've been moved on to UC, I got my first payment of UC today to the total of £0.00! I've phoned them up telling them that surely there is something not right here, they have taken back -£286.65 and the rest is for the advance payment I had from last month from when I started the claim, leaving me with £0 payment! 

I'm not sure what the Carers Element is? If I can get the Element added will I at least get something at my next payment? 

I'm currently only getting the £66/pw CA.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You need to put a note on your journal asking for the carers element to be added to your payments.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Hi,

You need to put a note on your journal asking for the carers element to be added to your payments.
    Thanks, I've just added a note, any idea how quickly they will respond to the notes? My next payment isn't due for some weeks, I am hoping they can correct by then.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    They may not respond as often happens with UC, if they don't in 2 days then you need to ring them to ask for it to be added.

When you first claimed UC did you report your caring responsibilities?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    They may not respond as often happens with UC, if they don't in 2 days then you need to ring them to ask for it to be added.

When you first claimed UC did you report your caring responsibilities?
    Hi, When I started the claim I did say I was a carer, and when I was called into the Jobcentre I explained to them in person about it. I also made 4 calls this morning about my payment of £0, and not one person on said about the element. 
  • Hart86Hart86 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
    How much is being deducted for your advance? You can ask for this to be deferred for a maximum of 6 months (they’ll usually only do it for 3 though) but you can only ask for it to be deferred ONCE, so keep that in mind!

Carer’s Element should appear separately on your claim below your standard allowance and any housing. It’s £160. If it isn’t there be really specific when you ask about it in the journal. 
    Do you have anything else on your claim at all? 
    Hi, I was paying back the advance payment at £30 a month (I got £318), I got it deferred this morning to make way for another advance payment of £80, once I pay this one back, the older advance will start being deducted.

I am on the standard allowance claim, I am hoping the Element does appear now that I've made a note of it. If it doesn't I'll be calling them again in a few days. 
  • Hart86Hart86 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
    That all sounds right then other than the missing carer element.👍👍
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,951 Scope community team
    Hi @dpmw and welcome to the community. 

I hope Universal Credit are able to sort the carer element for you quickly. Please keep us updated! :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Hi @dpmw and welcome to the community. 

I hope Universal Credit are able to sort the carer element for you quickly. Please keep us updated! :)
    Hi, I called today and the element has been added, my case manager is looking into the 1 month backdated money that I've missed out on, I should that outcome on Monday. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    dpmw,

Good! If you don't get the backdated money then ask for a mandatory reconsideration of the refusal to backdate. I can't see how they can refuse you backdating legally - it is surely an official error not to include the carer element, as not only had you told them several times but they were deducting CA....

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,951 Scope community team
    Great news that it's been added on @dpmw. As Will said, it should be backdated and if it isn't, you have a case for mandatory reconsideration. Let us know how you get on. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Great news that it's been added on @dpmw. As Will said, it should be backdated and if it isn't, you have a case for mandatory reconsideration. Let us know how you get on. :)
    All backdated today. I really thought it would drag on for months, but it's all been sorted and paid. 
    Awesome! I'm really pleased for you @dpmw. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Sign in or join us to comment.