Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

What group could I possibly be put in?

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

edited July 2019 in Universal Credit
This discussion was created from comments split from: Can LCWRA be backdated?.

Replies

• blesiablesia Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi everyone new to this site as I wanted to jump on This post for some advice. I applied for UC with a sick note 3rd December 2018 and I had sent in medical information by post over the year. I was supposed to go to a medical but my dr did write me a support letter explaining I was under mental health due to my mental health that bad I was nearly sectioned so I would need a home visit...that medical was cancelled..got a new medical date a month later...that was cancelled (this was feb-March 2019) then April I phoned up and asked what was going on with my claim I was told it looks like I don’t need a medical. June the 11th I was told over the phone I was awarded but then I phoned up again week later and asked what was going on now any news? I was told it was being chased up by case manager but no news...It’s now July no news, Not siren what group I’ll be Put in..No idea on anything about my claim they have not been very helpful at all all I can do is wait. Anyone have any idea how long and what group I could possibly be put in if i didn’t need a medical. Thank you
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,942

Scope community team

Hi @blesia and welcome to the community. I know you mentioned jumping on the other post, but I've moved this over to its own thread so it'll get a bit more attention and hopefully some answers or support from the community.

Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If it's your first work capability assessment then you'll be given limited capability for work related activity if no face to face is needed.

What you need to do is ring and ask UC if a work capability assessment form has been returned from the health assessment providers. If no report has been returned then no decision can be made. There's no timescales how long it can take, it depends on backlog in your area. If you're successfully given LCWRA then you'll be backdated £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent in your first fit note.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thank you for your reply I needed some advice as I get told different things each time I phone UC. I will give them a ring and ask thank you
  • pcoventrypcoventry Member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I went for mine and despite getting PIP they found me fit for work - so I am having fun asking them what job I can do with 1 weak arm and hand and the other used to support me - and I can't sit down or stand up for more than 20 minutes due to bones growing into my nerves in my spine!

Answer? they want me to serve sausage rolls to poshos at a race course - they are morons! 

Scope community team

Good morning @blesia. Did you manage to get through to them? Any news?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    Hi there, I gave them another ring and my case manager said she has chased my claim up but she will again chase it up again and that I should be aware of the time scales. I agreed I understand about the time scales but 8 months is very frustrating to wait for a answer of some kind especially when your ill and in a bad place. I’m hoping I will see a letter in my journal soon as on the 12th of this month I usually find out how much UC I get for the month in my journal and then I am paid on the 18th so I’m hoping that it should be any day! 😩 feeling hopeless
    You could ring the health assessment providers to ask if the report has been returned to DWP. If it has then that's good news. Otherwise if it hasn't then ask them what's going on and they'll tell you if a face to face assessment is needed or not.

The health assessment advisory service do WCA and the link with contact number is here. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance-esa

It would definitely be quicker to find out what's going on if you ring the health assessment providers yourself, rather than wait for your case manager.

I know the wait is very frustrating but backlog cause delays unfortunately.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Hi Poppy, I’ve just used that link and gave them a phone call but they said ‘ it’s not with us anymore it’s gone back to the Dwp on the 11th of june’ and I suspected that anyway as I was told by dwp begining of this month that they have enough proof and satisfied I don’t need a face to face and now apparently my case is in Scotland. This is the last message I got of my case manager in my journal.     
    5 Jul 2019 at 2:47pm
    Good Afternoon Billie, 
    As stated I have chased this up for you, as soon as I have an update to give you I will let you know. Your Universal Credit payments will continue whilst we are awaiting this decision. 
    Kind Regards
    so I’m just waiting for a decision and it’s been since begining of last month i guess it’s just a waiting game now which is SO frustrating i just have to take my mind of it somehow
    Hopefully it won't be too long. As i advised because it's your first work capability assessment which was paper based then then decision should be LCWRA. You'll receive the extra element in your payments backdated to the 4th month of your claim start from when you sent in your first fit/sick note.
    Yeah I’m starting to realise now it’s coming to a end thank you for your help. If I hear anything I will post that on here. Thanks
    I’ve been put in the support group! 🙌🏼 
    I’ve been put in the support group! 🙌🏼 

Scope community team

That's brilliant @blesia! Hopefully the LCWRA will be added in time for your next payment and they'll sort out any back payment quickly. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Just as i thought. Great news. The equivalent to this for UC is limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA)
  • Clarissa1Clarissa1 Member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Hello everyone, just read down this post very interesting, as like you blesia I've had very similar problems was awarded PIP in December 2018, first sick note 27th Feb 2019 to UC,  unable to stand longer than hour, (my job involves standing, walking around ) it is now 5mth UC have not put me in a group as they consider me fit for work, GP & Consultant have said I'm not fit for work, ( work are paying SSP for me & keeping in touch they have been very supportive) I've not been diagnosed yet, upper motor neuron is what spinal Consultant suggested when he referred me to neurology Consultant, loads of test being carried out.
    UC have said I'm to go to Job Centre see advisor as need to complete a change in circumstances. 
    Confused..
    Clarissa1 said:
    Hello everyone, just read down this post very interesting, as like you blesia I've had very similar problems was awarded PIP in December 2018, first sick note 27th Feb 2019 to UC,  unable to stand longer than hour, (my job involves standing, walking around ) it is now 5mth UC have not put me in a group as they consider me fit for work, GP & Consultant have said I'm not fit for work, ( work are paying SSP for me & keeping in touch they have been very supportive) I've not been diagnosed yet, upper motor neuron is what spinal Consultant suggested when he referred me to neurology Consultant, loads of test being carried out.
    UC have said I'm to go to Job Centre see advisor as need to complete a change in circumstances. 
    Confused..
    Hi,

When was the decision made that found you fit for work?

Did you request the Mandatory Reconsideration(MR)? This is the first step to the appeal and must be completed before you can request the Tribunal.

Generally you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR but with good reason you have 13 months. I'd advise you to get some face to face advice from an agency near you and start the MR process off. If that fails and most do then it's Tribunal.

You won't be able to send in more fit notes for the same condition you previously applied for, unless it's a worsening of condition, or a completely new condition.

Do be aware that for limited capability for work they assess your ability to do any type of job and not just your current one.

This link will help you find what's local to you for face to face advice. https://advicelocal.uk/

Hello Poppy, I've found you, UC told me in April that I was in light touch work group, I was in Hospital at the time after another fall to which I'd notify them on UC Journal. I've asked for an MR as was unware seeing them at JC on 5th August so will enquire again which group I'm in then go from there if its still light touch work then I'll ask for a MR my condition has got worse 
    light touch work group? Do you mean work preparation group which will be limited capability for work (LCW)? If so then it doesn't mean you're fit for work.

When requesting the MR they won't take into consideration a worsening of condition. They will only be able to take into consideration what your condition was at the time the decision was made.

If your condition's got worse since the decision was made then your only option is to put in a change of circumstances. Before doing this though you really do need to get some face to face advice from an agency near you because if you have LCW already then you do risk losing this.
    Hi Poppy, although I was told in LCW I've never received any additional payments, I get PIP, (SSP which is deducted out of the standard benefit ) which this mth I got £233 UC with my SSP £ 378.00 aprox .. they put my earnings at £504.00 so assumed they take my PIP which is standard rate but waiting on a new decision at the moment. I will contact CAB for face to face.. today is a bad day can't move legs & drift asleep without warning. 

Thank you so much for all your advice & links really helpful.
    As you were given LCW and your claim started after April 2017 there's no extra money. Although because you have LCW then you should be given a work allowance. Do you claim for help with your rent through UC and do you live with a partner that works?

PIP isn't part of UC and it's not means tested which means the amount of PIP you receive won't affect your UC payments.
    Hi Poppy sorry I've taken so long to reply. I live alone no partner, my rent is counted in UC, I pay £350 pm then have rest of living costs plus costs back & foward to hospital, I have blue badge. 
    Every month they say my employer gave them the figures and its different each mth. I was getting work sick pay which ended in March'19 UC told me payment was correct as they are in arrears therefore April's low payment reflects March.. I will try and find out, probably better if I write it down as when talking face to face I've started a conversation then forget or can't find the words to explain what I'm saying. But I can write it down. 
    This means that you will have a work allowance of £198, which means you're allowed to earn this much money per month before you start seeing any deduction in your UC payments. This means that for every £1 you earn over that amount you'll have a 63p deduction. The UC payment sounds about right to me.

Pop your details into this benefits calculator to see what you achieve. They are quite accurate if you put all your details in correctly.

Hi Poppy,
    Wow just put in exactly what I get and it came out £238.71 per wk UC, I get that for a whole month, plus my SSP which will be running out soon as only get 28 wks I was told.
    I'm not working signed off long term, so only get SSP of which £35.00 is taken out for pension.. I put that all down.

Clarissa1 said:
    Hi Poppy,
    Wow just put in exactly what I get and it came out £238.71 per wk UC, I get that for a whole month, plus my SSP which will be running out soon as only get 28 wks I was told.
    That's definitely not correct. Please take a closer look because UC is paid monthly not weekly and that will be the monthly amount.

Once your SSP ends your UC will increase. You'll also receive a deduction £1 for £1 for your pension.
    £1,004.02 / monthly

We estimate your monthly Universal Credit will be £1,004.02.

Thats what the monthly amount came out as taking into account it told me to put in which LCW award I think would be awarded so clicked the higher award as my PIP is just being reassessed to higher award. 

That is the link you said was quite accurate if you put all your details in correctly. 

I'm deducted - £35 paying into a pension and if I read you correctly deducted again pound 4 pound with UC .. It doesn't seem worth paying into a pension in that case as I'm  £70 worse off .. ?
    It sounds like you ticked the LCWRA box and not the LCW box. As you have LCW and your claim started after April 2017 then you you won't receive any extra money for having LCW.

The extra £336 per month is for those that have LCWRA only. Your UC award will not be £1,004.02 per month.

Your monthly award without SSP is £317.82 standard allowance and £350 for your housing element, as that's the amount you said you receive for that. Add both of those together and once your SSP ends you'll receive £667 per month UC. Then on top of that you'll receive your PIP and council tax reduction.

For the pension, i thought you said you received a pension, sorry about that. They don't deduct any money for paying into a pension.

As advised, the benefit calculator is only correct if the details you put into it is correct. You need to tick the LCW box and not the LCWRA box and make sure you put down the SSP you receive and then you'll have a total of what you should be claim now. Which will be pretty much what you're already receiving.
    Hello Poppy123456,
    I am going to Job Centre 5th Aug 19 about LCWRA.
     At present work pay £282.17 after deductions UC pay £238 71 .. which is £520.88 after rent paid leaves  £170.88 per mth (£42.72 per week to pay bills/ shopping/ fuel)

Sorry if I have confused you but I really don't receive £667 per mth that is the figure on my benefits but they have a bogus amount of £520 I'm supposed to get from work.. I wish as would be loads better off.. 

I feel as everyone is against me as no matter how many times I've shown my wage slips & bank statements showing how much I've received.. I'm told it's correct..
    So have used my PIP to live on .. You stated  PIP was not taken into but it clearly is to get the figures correct..
    PIP is most definitely not taken into consideration when calculating any UC entitlement because it's not means tested.

£282 per month is not the SSP amount because SSP is £94.25 per week, which gives a monthly figure of £407. UC use real time information (RTI) to receive the data about your earnings and it's your employer that will report the earnings and you should speak to them, if you're not receiving the correct amount of SSP and if UC are receiving the incorrect data from RTI.

£667 per month is the amount you'll receive once your SSP has ended and not what you should be receiving now. My calculations are that the amount of UC you're receiving now is correct based on you claiming SSP amount of £94.25 per week.
    Ahh thank you Poppy123456
    that's actually explained it a lot better, my employer and thats speaking with Head Office HR have said at no point have they discussed with anyone other than employee about wages. They stated to check with tax officials as they are aware of PAYE & SSP. 

94.25× 4= 377.00 -35.00 = 282.00
    94.25 x 52 =4901.00 ÷ 12 = 408.51
    My employer uses weeks, UC uses the year. 

I'm not sure where my head was when i worked out your monthly pay but i did that wrong. UC doesn't calculate on the yearly salary, it's calculated based on your earnings during the month, which will be your assessment period.  The figure you used for your pay above is wrong. 377 - 35 = 342 in my calculation.

I think you should take all your paper work and make an appointment with your local advice centre about your UC payments and your SSP and they will be able to give you the correct advice based on your circumstances. At the same time please get some advice before putting in for a worsening condition because you do risk losing your LCW by doing this. Good luck.
     Thank you so much Poppy123456 my calculating was poor must of been moondust in my eyes !! Lol 
    I will definitely make an appointment today with CAB.

Very much appreciate all your time, it does get very complicated.
    Take care I'll let you know the outcome. 

Scope community team

Hello @Clarissa1, it does sound like there may be some discrepancies with your Universal Credit payments. To double check the amount your employer is reporting it is a good idea to check out your HMRC tax account (www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services/register). Anything reported within an assessment period is counted as earnings for that assessment period. 

One thing I am a little confused about is you said at one point you are in 'light touch' and another that you are in LCW (limited capability for work). These are two very different groupings on Universal Credit and it's important to know which you are in. Did you receive a decision letter after your health assessment?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Good morning Adrian,
    It confuses me which is why I have an appointment on the 5th Aug at the Jobcentre, I've not had any mail in a long time just get messages in Journal .. They said on the phone light touch in that they don't need to check.. Jobcentre has said LCW everytime I've been in and seen them.. So I thought they both meant the same. 
    Thank you for the advice Adrian, Most the time I just can't be bothered I'm on Gabapentin & Venlafaxine plus a concoction of pain relief so don't have the energy for lots of confrontation..
    My Adviser at Jobcentre is having a chat about LCWRA, and looking into whats been happening with my account..
    When the decision was made on your work capability assessment then the letter should have been uploaded onto your journal and it would have stated on there which group, if any you were placed into.

If you're not in the LCW group then this will explain the issues with your payments because you won't be entitled to a work allowance without having LCW because you don't have dependent children.
    No definitely don't have dependant children Poppy123456 !! 🤣🤣 
    haha i gathered that because you don't claim the child element of UC. ;)

Scope community team

@Clarissa1, it might be worth you checking back in your journal to see if a letter was uploaded with a decision on your health assessment. If you're in LCW you should be getting the work allowance, so the first £287 of your SSP should be disregarded, before they start calculating the deduction due to earnings. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Thank you Adrian, 
    I appreciate all the help, I've spoken on the phone to CAB, as you can't just turn up now !! No appointments till after the 5th, I've jotted down points made from Poppy123456 & yourself Adrian so hopefully will be ok they are very nice in the Jobcentre after all they are just doing there jobs. 
    I've had a look on Journal my laptop is playing up, mobile won't open doc's.. So I'll sort it next week can't get in any sooner that was earliest appointment at JC .. Think I may try & sleep tonight 😏 Good night for now,
    🧙‍♀️

Scope community team

Hope you've managed to get some sleep @Clarissa1! Good luck at the JC next week, let us know how you get on. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Got a couple of hours 🤫 !! Lol 
Sign in or join us to comment.