News and opportunities
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Appearing on The One Show

Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

Scope community team

edited July 2019 in News and opportunities
Scope has been helping a production company put a programme together for The One Show.  It looks at the 30th anniversary of the Oscar winning film, My Left Foot (if you’ve not seen it, it’s a true account of the Irish painter and writer, Christy Moore, who had cerebral palsy) Daniel Day Lewis played Christy and won an Oscar.
Next Tuesday 16 July, the production team are hosting a special screening of this film which will be hosted by Lee Ridley/Lost Voice Guy. They would like to invite 5-10 people with cerebral palsy to watch the film and comment afterwards about their impression of attitudes then and today, 30 years on. 
Scope is also contributing, in the wider picture talking about attitudes and representation and we've been asked to invite our London-based supporters who have CP (and of course carers) to come along to an as of yet unannounced venue for the event and be available afterwards for interviews which will be edited and aired when the live programme is broadcast (date TBC!)

If you're interested, we'd love to hear from you below.

Senior Community Partner
Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey

Replies

• April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

Scope community team

We have a rough time for next Tuesday’s screening of My Left Foot. It will be at 1pm at the BFI (British Film Institute) which is located at Belvedere Road, South Bank, London SE1 8XT. Please note the time could change slightly but this is a good time to aim for.

We're waiting on confirmation of accessibility, but we know the room they’re screening My Left Foot in has wide aisles / wheelchair access, but will confirm with other details.

Drinks will be provided and the company will also provide accessible cabs to / from the venue to a central/inner London point but not beyond.

Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • TheFantasticSpasticTheFantasticSpastic Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I'm interested and available next Tuesday, how can I attend?
  • rachelclrachelcl Member Posts: 34 Connected
    I'm available next Tuesday, have never seen the film and would love to come.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

Scope community team

Hello @TheFantasticSpastic and @rachelcl. If you're able to shoot me an email at [email protected] I can put you in touch with the organisers.

Many thanks,
    Adrian
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

• KittyTinkerKittyTinker Member Posts: 77 Pioneering
    Sadly we live in Yorkshire so wouldn’t be able to attend but will definitely watch despite it clashing with Emmerdale. It would be interesting to see if attitudes are different depending on where you live in the country. My son is incredibly bright but as his speech is affected by his CP I can see that people make assumptions as to his intelligence. It really doesn’t seem to bother him, I sometimes think he sees it as a challenge to change their opinions by throwing in a few big words to conversations but it does bug me. 
Sign in or join us to comment.