Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

In hospital, do we need to let the DWP know?

SystemSystem Posts: 547

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Do I have to inform DWP that I'm in hospital?.

Replies

• jemmylemonjemmylemon Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I am looking for the answer to a similar question. A very dear friend of mine has been in hospital for 21 days, she is 79 and has terminal cancer, does she have to inform cap on regard to state pension and is she eligible for any extra financial help.in

Sorry should read cap not calling
    Think my tablet is having a bad day, DWP not cap or calling
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I am looking for the answer to a similar question. A very dear friend of mine has been in hospital for 21 days, she is 79 and has terminal cancer, does she have to inform cap on regard to state pension and is she eligible for any extra financial help.in

Hi,

Her state pension will continue to be paid while she is in hospital. Although you do need to check what other benefits, if anything she's claiming because being in hospital can affect any other benefits she claim if she's in hospital for more than 28 days.

When she comes out of hospital then the best thing to do is speak to an advice agency to see if there's anything else she can claim.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,002

Scope community team

Hello @jemmylemon and welcome to the community. :)

I'm glad Poppy has been able to answer this for you. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,357 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are in hospital for a short stay as most are then no but if a long stay weeks over I think it's 28 day's you must inform DWP. 
Sign in or join us to comment.