PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Turned down when moving from DLA to PIP

SystemSystem Posts: 489 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Renew Pip.

Replies

• tinkernicktinkernick Member Posts: 1 Listener
    hi i have been on D.L A for 7 years with  heart problems but was told i had to apply for pip in july. just got my reply and have been turned down even tho i have heart trouble and on medication for life. why have i been scored on mental questions when my condition is phisical. should i appeal. thanks 
  • david235david235 Member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    @tinkernick - Welcome to the forums.

You would be scored for all descriptors. Conditions that are physical in origin can result in secondary mental health symptoms - for example, pain or breathlessness can lead to anxiety. With PIP, all the points you score for Daily Living irrespective of the reasons are added together. Similarly, all the points you score for Mobility irrespective of the reasons are added together. However, you only get one descriptor and set of points per activity - whichever scores the highest number of points.

It is impossible to say whether or not you should appeal - though if you believe the decision is wrong then you have nothing to lose from a reconsideration. PIP is quite different in the way it works to DLA. Do you think there are areas where you should have scored more points than you did? Is there a local advice provider who can help you with a reconsideration application within the short period of time allowed?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    hi i have been on D.L A for 7 years with  heart problems but was told i had to apply for pip in july. just got my reply and have been turned down even tho i have heart trouble and on medication for life. why have i been scored on mental questions when my condition is phisical. should i appeal. thanks 
    Hi,

DLA and PIP are different benefits, with different criteria. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Avoid mentioning any lies or contradictions that may have been told in the report because DWP/Tribunal won't be interested in any of those.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tinkernick and a warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry you didn't get the points needed, how many did you get?

Like the advice above, DLA and PIP are very different benefits, so you wouldn't necessarily be entitled to it. Here is the PIP self test which will give you an indication of the award you could receive. However, an assessor won't necessarily score you the same.

Here is some information about the Mandatory Reconsideration process and please let us know if there is anything else we can do. :) 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.