Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How will being a carer affect UC?

SystemSystem Posts: 545

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: LCWRA.

Replies

• geeforcegeeforce Member Posts: 29 Connected
    I’ve been uc since being offf work sick I’m now fit but I have a joint claim with my wife she was put on lcwcr group unfortunately her health is deteriorating so I’m going to have to be her carer at the moment we receive £834 how will that change if I’m her carer 
    kind regards 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    geeforce said:
    I’ve been uc since being offf work sick I’m now fit but I have a joint claim with my wife she was put on lcwcr group unfortunately her health is deteriorating so I’m going to have to be her carer at the moment we receive £834 how will that change if I’m her carer 
    kind regards 
    Does your wife claim a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Sorry poppy pip enhanced mobility 
  • david235david235 Member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    @geeforce - PIP Mobility (at either rate) is not a qualifying benefit for Carer's Allowance or the Carer Premium in UC. Your wife must have a Daily Living component in her PIP award for you to get Carer's Allowance and/or Carer Premium.

There are other qualifying benefits for Carer's Allowance / Carer Premium, but none can apply to someone who has a PIP award.
    Thanks David she gets pip standard care sorry I should of put that I’m not very educated on all this 
    kind regards 
    edited September 2019
    As she has a daily living award of PIP then you'll be able to claim for the carers element of UC, providing you don't receive the LCWRA element yourself.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thanks poppy for ur help 
    You're welcome.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,001

Scope community team

edited September 2019
    Hi @geeforce, will you be applying for Carer's Allowance or just requesting the carer's element of Universal Credit?
    Carer's Allowance has strict rules in terms of how much you can work and earn, whereas the carer's element allows you to earn any amount. 

Carer's element adds an additional £160.20 a month to your claim. Carer's Allowance is paid weekly or roughly £66 a week but it then deducted £ for £ from Universal Credit and the carer's element is added on (so both leave you with the same total income). The benefit of receiving Carer's Allowance is it can be paid weekly and contributes higher NI Credits for the claimant, but you don't need to claim CA to receive the carer's element. 

I hope that helps.
    Community Manager
    Scope
    Thanks for that @Adrian_Scope, forgot to mention the carers allowance. Also if geeforce lives in Scotland then claiming carers allowance means he will receive a supplementary payment of £226 each year, paid in 2 payments. This payment is also taxable.

Thanks Adrian so I’m right my payments will be 
    £498 standard 
    £336 lcwra premium
    160 Carer’s premium
    kind regards guys 
    Yes, that's correct. If you don't already receive the carers element you will need to report those changes on your journal, otherwise it won't be added.
    Thanks a thanks again poppy your so helpful I was getting confused with the Carers allowance and the Premium on uc now I know you only get one 
    kind regards 
    Hi there I care for my wife we get the following 

Standard rate 498
    lcw for my wife 336
    housing element 470
    carers element 160
     I was signed off work 2018 but I work part time as a taxi driver as I’ve got better I’ve had a message on my journal today saying I have to fill in a questionnaire and may have to go for a work assessment will my benefits change as I’m confused 
    Kind regards 
    Even if you are placed into the LCWRA group your UC amount will remain the same because you can only receive 1 LCWRA element in a claim, even if both are in that group. Your UC amounts won't change.
    thanks a lot poppy I was confused Because my wife’s in the lcw and I’m in the other one so will I still have to go to work assessment or when I fill in the forms Will  they realise that I’m my wife’s carer and work part time 
    In a comment above you said that your wife receives £336 extra, this means that your wife is in the LCWRA group and not LCW.

I'm assuming you've been sending in fit notes to start the LCW process off for yourself which is why you have to fill out the work capability assessment form. If you haven't sent fit notes in for yourself then the form will be for your wife and not for you.
    Ok thanks again poppy 
Sign in or join us to comment.