Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Universal Credit

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

Replies

• RoddyRoddy Member Posts: 389 Pioneering
    My life has never been worse, since UC was introduced. I'm in debt up to my eyeballs, and the uncertainly of trying to live on a reduced monthly hand-out is already taking its toll. I get shoved from place to place to answer the exact same questions and all at my own extra expense. Queuing from 8am in all weathers for a Food Bank voucher which although I'm grateful for comprises of next to zilch... and they call this progress? I'm ashamed to be English and of myself, and very ashamed of anybody who has the cheek to call themselves a Member of Parliament. I am currently sat on my own, no milk, no bread or any basic essentials except for my meds, and pot-less until 17th and then it's all over again until the next month. Christmas? Forget it. I've not even enough for a bag of giblets. 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

Scope community team

I'm sorry to hear how much you're struggling at the moment @Roddy. I know a lot of people have found themselves on a massively reduced income since switching to Universal Credit, but I just wondered if you've ever had your award checked?
    I've come across a number of people who have been told again and again their award is correct but they're actually missing elements or been placed in the wrong group etc. It could well be that your claim is correct but it's always worth checking. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    I'm sorry to hear how much you're struggling at the moment @Roddy. I know a lot of people have found themselves on a massively reduced income since switching to Universal Credit, but I just wondered if you've ever had your award checked?
    I've come across a number of people who have been told again and again their award is correct but they're actually missing elements or been placed in the wrong group etc. It could well be that your claim is correct but it's always worth checking. 
    Thank You @Adrian_Scope
    The one thing which plagues me is the inconsistency of what I'm told by the so-called advisors. I lost my high-rate PIP which I also took to tribunal to no avail, but was awarded the Enhanced Rate of ESA, even though my UC Journal tells me that I don't receive it. I have only just relocated from a care home this past week, and had to purchase furniture etc. by means of a budgeting loan. The council went back on their word that they would pay my first months rent, and I almost lost the property due to their failure to pay the removals which again they said they would. All I know is that I get £613.13 pm UC and £327.60 PIP pm. I've been given conflicting advice from the council and UC as to which one will be paying my landlord Housing Benefit, and until I get paid I cannot go to any offices again to find out for sure, provided of course I meet somebody that IS sure. There are no foodbanks or CABs within a five mile radius of my new home, but I shouldn't need them should I????   

Scope community team

Hi @roddy. It’s difficult to know without seeing your claim but it sounds like you’re getting the standard allowance (£317.67) and then either the LCWRA (£336.20) or roughly £300 towards rent, with a small deduction. Is it broken down on your statement? It’s difficult to say for certain without seeing it as it could also be that you’re getting the standard allowance, LCWRA and then rent, but it’s paid direct to your landlord.

Underneath ‘Standard allowance’ does it have housing or anything else on your statement? I’ve posted an example below:

Unless you’re in temporary housing, Universal Credit should paying your rent.

If you can tell me what your statement currently says, I can check you’re receiving everything you should be.

Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
    Many Thanks for your help with this... 
    As I have only just moved to a different area in Suffolk, I am still as yet to visit my new council offices and Jobcentre with my new Tenancy Agreement etc. Both of these offices are 5+ miles from my home, but I intend to visit them late next week... My previous 'work-coach' (though I do not have to report to her at all) did inform the new Jobcentre of my relocation.  Also, before this move, my local council paid my Housing Benefit direct to my landlord/care home. My property now is owned by a Housing Association 50 miles south of where I was. 

What also annoys me, is that despite me filling in forms for Council Tax with an advisor, I've received a Council Tax Bill for over £400 addressed to me at my new property. I've only been here a week, and I did all this before I moved. Surely, I'm entitled to some kind of reduction??? I cannot find £4, let alone £400.
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Roddy   Sorry to hear what you are going through right now. Understand and feel for those on this benefit.

Have compassion and the support those who are struggling.

I do understand that the Housing Association you have should have a benefit advisor. Maybe need to talk to them. Just a suggestion.

I am aware that you need to talk to some one like your Housing Association because they can give you the support, advice and guidance they can provide.

Including might appoint a support worker to you assign one and give you some help.

Most Housing Associations have a charter to help those of our community .  Offer any additional support and guidance, advice.

As benefits and the whole aspect of this is confusing and complex.

I wish you well in your new home.  Glad to talk to you again.

Please if I can help with anything .Please get in touch happy to be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Scope community team

Hi @Roddy. As you live in a housing association property, you shouldn't need to take your tenancy agreement in to have the rent verified, they verify these directly with the housing association. As standard, UC tend to pay the rent directly to the claimant, not to the housing association/landlord so you need to double-check this. 

You can scroll back on your UC journal to double-check your rent details have been submitted to them.

Council Tax Support is separate to Universal Credit and as you're in a new area this won't be automatically given. You need to apply to Suffolk Council for this and how they calculate could be different to how your previous council did. Please let me know if I can help at all.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

• Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Member Posts: 858 Pioneering
    @Adrian_Scope as you work for Scope, I was wondering if you could split the posts as your helping roddy with, also thespiceman has helped to. Could you make a new thread of it instead this one being a free for all please. Much respect.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Member Posts: 858 Pioneering
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope Respect⭐️
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Scope community team

Hi @Government_needs_reform, no problem at all. :)

@Roddy, I hope you don't mind, but I've split our conversation from the original post so not to distract from it. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Hello @Roddy Please can I suggest you contact the following organisations.

Might be worth asking see how they can help you. As you have moved to a new area often useful to consider.

I know myself as I have moved a lot know they would probably be supportive in assisting you with anything you might need.

In a crisis always there.

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk.

Helpline 020 7367 4500

https://www.redcross.org.uk.

Hope that helps.

Please keep in touch if I can help with anything .

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hi @thespiceman

I truly appreciate your help. From my recent experience ALL of the organizations in and around my are feeling the pinch. Salvation Army were unable to assist me for example, save for a slice of cake and a coffee. One of my previous support workers also contacted ALL of the charitable organizations, and apart from one which purchased a cooker for me none of the others were able to donate assistance. Please rest assured that I've been very active with contacting many charities and help-lines, but without any success whatsoever for the help that I desperately need... My new home is adjacent to a Parish Church, and I've even been there to meet the Vicar and to ask if they can point me in the right direction. but the advice is the same: Contact the Council or go to Citizens Advice, and to be honest my recent visits to CAB have been met with the same negative results. Am sat here with 4p in my pocket and my next money day is 17th. I've no friends or family within 200 miles and although I have a mobility scooter I'm cut-off in my village by dangerous country lanes. SIX DAYS until I can get a 5 mile bus journey to visit the council and the same incompetent attitudes and misleading advice by a bunch of apes who are genuinely not the slightest bit concerned. My Dad, would have waited outside for these people and shot them. The lie through their back teeth from behind panes of glass and then it's onto the next poor mug who's also desperate for help.  Rarely does anybody get anywhere with these people, no matter what they've gone to see them for.   
    Hello @Roddy   Thank you for reply.  Sorry to hear this.  Shocked and stunned about the situation you are in.

The Church thought would have helped.  Also any of the organisations you contacted not helping or be supportive.  Not good to hear this at all.

Please can I ask do you have mental health issues.?

If you have mental health issues and need some support is this going to help.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Mental health charity I used.  

Get floating support or an outreach worker if that helps you.  Only problem might not be in all areas.

Also please can I ask have you spoken to your Housing Association. ?  Do they know your situation?

Please might be worth contacting them. They should appoint some one to help you. 

I believe they should be doing this. As part of their policy.  All Housing Associations have a charter to help those who are vulnerable, disabled and elderly.

That is far as I know my own Housing Association has a customer promises one.

I am sorry about CAB. Again thought would have helped.  Given you some advice and guidance.

Just concerned and care as I do with some one who is a valued member of this community.

Please is it possible for you to ring our helpline on Monday and see how the SCOPE team can give you any support.

0808 800 3333.

Please can I ask are you OK for food and essentials?  You mentioned the amount of money you have.

I assume you have no money in your bank account .  For example a enough to order on line any shopping.

Some on line supermarkets free delivery.  ICELAND is one.  Can get £25 minimum spend. TESCO need to sign up get a delivery.  Will be £3.49 midweek or other rates are available .

Minimum spend £40.  Other supermarkets are available.

Just an idea.

Really am sorry what you are going through right now. Wish I could suggest anything else.

All I can do is be here and give some support.  

Please if you can speak to our helpline.  

Wish you well.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hello @Roddy   Thank you for reply.  Sorry to hear this.  Shocked and stunned about the situation you are in.

The Church thought would have helped.  Also any of the organisations you contacted not helping or be supportive.  Not good to hear this at all.

Please can I ask do you have mental health issues.?

If you have mental health issues and need some support is this going to help.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Mental health charity I used.  

Get floating support or an outreach worker if that helps you.  Only problem might not be in all areas.

Also please can I ask have you spoken to your Housing Association. ?  Do they know your situation?

Please might be worth contacting them. They should appoint some one to help you. 

I believe they should be doing this. As part of their policy.  All Housing Associations have a charter to help those who are vulnerable, disabled and elderly.

That is far as I know my own Housing Association has a customer promises one.

I am sorry about CAB. Again thought would have helped.  Given you some advice and guidance.

Just concerned and care as I do with some one who is a valued member of this community.

Please is it possible for you to ring our helpline on Monday and see how the SCOPE team can give you any support.

0808 800 3333.

Please can I ask are you OK for food and essentials?  You mentioned the amount of money you have.

I assume you have no money in your bank account .  For example a enough to order on line any shopping.

Some on line supermarkets free delivery.  ICELAND is one.  Can get £25 minimum spend. TESCO need to sign up get a delivery.  Will be £3.49 midweek or other rates are available .

Minimum spend £40.  Other supermarkets are available.

Just an idea.

Really am sorry what you are going through right now. Wish I could suggest anything else.

All I can do is be here and give some support.  

Please if you can speak to our helpline.  

Wish you well.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Thank You again @thespiceman, I expect that I will be suffering from mental health problems if things don't improve for me before 17th. I will try to call the SCOPE helpline on Monday, but with the very best will in the world I cannot do anything here without money. I've a box of Cornflakes but no milk and I can hardly walk to the one local shop and ask for credit. I'd be more than embarrassed to do that, and I've only lived here for 1 week. I do plan on having my groceries delivered once I get paid, as it appears that most people in the village do. Yes, I've nothing in my bank account. One 'good' piece of news today, is that my council tax bill has been reduced to £63 and I can pay it off monthly... It's food that I need right now, and six days seems a long way away to go without any. My meds require me to eat 3 times each day, which is also a worry as I cannot take them on an empty stomach and without them it hurts... I KNOW that there are many people out there that are far worse off than me, but it doesn't FEEL like it right now. I'm not going to do anything stupid though... I've just put one of my side-tables on eBay in the hope it sells but that's like a stab in the dark. 
    Hello @Roddy   Thank you for reply. Sorry I did not reply to you earlier.

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I agree the situation you are in is drastic and do have concern.

I am aware of other people who are the same. Thinking of others is something I do myself. I know what is important right now is finding some solutions to help you.

I would speak as I said to your Housing Association to see how they can help you.

I would also speak to SCOPE.  I hope you get through.

Please if I can advise have this website. The Trussell Trust.  This is a network of food banks.

Across the country. I know this is the last resort and do know it is something you wish or might not want to do.

https://www.trusselltrust.org.

I am just giving you some ideas and some guidance.

I have also two other organisations concerning debt and finance worth looking at.

Money Advice Service.

https://moneyadviceservice.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 138 7777

Step change.

https://www.stepchange.org.

Helpline 0800 138 1111

Please can I add if you when you need to buy or purchase food. Please get in touch .

Can offer and help, advise on the right food items to purchase.

Just a suggestion if you buy the right food items does help and it might save you some money.  Have a lot of cheap, budget food and household ideas and suggestions.  Recipes.

Something to consider.  Hope that helps.

Have in previous life been through your situation.  Moved in to a private home rented. DSS then had not done the rent calculation. Still my new landlord wanted payment for rent.

Plus a deposit. Had little money had savings but even so had to live on £30 a week . Because could not get in town had no car or no money for bus.

Just had money but not enough.  Thought landlord at the time would be flexible . Had given him cash deposit from my savings.  Had this idea would be compassionate so there you go. Learnt that one very early on.

Got paid by then DSS. After a while.

Had this for three weeks.  A long time ago.

Thought explain.

Please take care.  Keep in touch.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Scope community team

Hi @Roddy, I'm really sorry to read about the situation you're in at the moment. I understand that with limited resources you'd struggle at the moment to even get to a food bank, but it does sound like food is a priority for you right now.
    I was wondering if you'd be willing to share via email with us ([email protected]) a more specific location than just your county and I can try and research what additional help there might be in your area.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Hi @Roddy, I'm really sorry to read about the situation you're in at the moment. I understand that with limited resources you'd struggle at the moment to even get to a food bank, but it does sound like food is a priority for you right now.
    I was wondering if you'd be willing to share via email with us ([email protected]) a more specific location than just your county and I can try and research what additional help there might be in your area.

Thank You @Adrian_Scope I have no qualms in providing my location via this page. I am based in the small village of Grundisburgh, Suffolk, and having just checked the Trussell Trust, my nearest foodbank is over 16 miles away. I truly am quite desperate until this Thursday. I'm surviving on black-coffee and that is all... I've known my life to be so bad. Some would argue that I should not have moved from my care home perhaps, but trust me, the abuse I received there was heinous & disgraceful and I'd rather live on the hard shoulder of the M25 than to spend another moment at that hell-hole. Things will most certainly improve for me here, and I hold on to that thought, but it doesn't solve my immediate need. 

Scope community team

edited October 2019
    Hi @Roddy,
    We've sent you a message. If you're able to get back to us ASAP, we can hopefully find a way to help you.
    Best wishes,
    Adrian
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Sign in or join us to comment.