Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Getting UC

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Can LCWRA be backdated?.

Replies

• Mike72Mike72 Member Posts: 23 Listener
    Hello, 
    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a little advice. I am claiming UC and on the 16th July 2019 I submitted a sick note and have continued to do so consecutively up to 13th December 2019. I claimed for LCWRA on the 16th July and after 3 months I asked my UC advisor for an update and was given a telephone number to get in touch to check on my application process. I was told that a decision had been made on the strength of my initial LCW application and sick notes without attending a assessment. Even though a decision has been reached the advisor could not tell me what the decision actually was. I was informed an email was sent on my behalf to chase the decision outcome. The following week and still no decision made. I telephoned the same number again and was told the exact same as the previous telephone call (same advisor coincidentally) an email was sent to chase the decision. Today it will be 104 days without a decision. I appreciate the payment may well be back dated but I am in severe hardship right now and living on food Bank vouchers (thank you so much food bank)
    Can anyone advise how I should proceed? I feel some times that I am harassing my advisor but I just need/want a decision. I have little knowledge regarding the system and all advice greatly appreciated 

Thank you. 

M
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Mike72 said:
    Hello, 
    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a little advice. I am claiming UC and on the 16th July 2019 I submitted a sick note and have continued to do so consecutively up to 13th December 2019. I claimed for LCWRA on the 16th July and after 3 months I asked my UC advisor for an update and was given a telephone number to get in touch to check on my application process. I was told that a decision had been made on the strength of my initial LCW application and sick notes without attending a assessment. Even though a decision has been reached the advisor could not tell me what the decision actually was. I was informed an email was sent on my behalf to chase the decision outcome. The following week and still no decision made. I telephoned the same number again and was told the exact same as the previous telephone call (same advisor coincidentally) an email was sent to chase the decision. Today it will be 104 days without a decision. I appreciate the payment may well be back dated but I am in severe hardship right now and living on food Bank vouchers (thank you so much food bank)
    Can anyone advise how I should proceed? I feel some times that I am harassing my advisor but I just need/want a decision. I have little knowledge regarding the system and all advice greatly appreciated 

Thank you. 

M
    Hi,

Have you received a work capability assessment form and returned that with all your evidence?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Wow Poppy, really prompt response, many thanks indeed. 
    If by work capability assessment form you mean the initial questionnaire that was supplied to me to apply then yes, yes I have filled that in and submitted it accordingly. Apparently a decision has been reached on the strength of that assessment form and sick notes. That decision I am still unaware of 104 days later

Thank you. 

M
    edited November 2019
    You're welcome. It's still not clear because you mention the initial questionnaire for you to apply. Are you claiming ESA or UC? Take a look at these links and you will know what the work capability assessment form looks like for ESA and UC and then i'll know for sure that you have filled one in and returned it.

I'm also assuming that because you're sending in fit notes then you don't currently have LCW is that correct?

ESA50 here

UC50 here

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Thanks once again for that Poppy.
     Yes I filled out one of those forms and sent it after it was sent out to me via the post. 

I'm am currently in receipt of UC with deductions of £128 per month so as you may well appreciate my financial circumstance is very critical. 

NO, I do not currently receive LCW. Just UC is my sole income. 
    Thank you. 

M. 
    Thanks for answering that and sorry for the questions, i just needed to be 100% certain before i could advise you further, i didn't want to give you the incorrect advice.

If a paper based assessment has been completed then you can request a copy of that to be sent to you. If it definitely is a paper based assessment then because it's your first time claiming this then you should be given LCWRA and not just LCW.

It seems like you've been given the run around here. You could ring the Health assessment advisory service and ask what the status is on your claim and they will tell you if a report has been returned to DWP. If no report has been returned then no decision can be made until it has.  https://www.chdauk.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance-esa

There's also a 3 months waiting period. This means that if you are awarded LCWRA then the extra £336 per month is paid from the 4th complete assessment period from when you first sent in your fit note.

Once a decision is made then the letter will be uploaded onto your journal. Hope this helps.

Also may i ask what the £128 deductions are for because that's a lot of money each month.

Thanks yet again Poppy. 

The link you sent me has ESA contained in it do I not have to make a approach to UC or is there no difference? There is a contact number contained in that website? I would just like to know just exactly what the decision is that has apparently been made already. Its the being kept in the dark that is causing me added stress and anxiety which does not help my condition.

Thanks for informing me of the actual amount I may receive (£336) does that amount include the monthly amount I already receive or is that instead of? I did say I had limited knowledge regarding this whole process. By the time I receive payment, if I receive payment, then it will be closer to 5 months. No one seems to be able to give me any information and yes you are right it does appear that I am being given the run around. I check my journal daily and, so far, nothing. 

The £128 monthly deductions are capped I believe and the deductions are for repaying loans I have received in the past.

Thanks

M
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mike72 and a very warm welcome to the community. Just to let you know that I have split your discussion from the previous thread to make it clearer that it is a new question. I'm really glad that @poppy123456 has been able to advise here and please do let us know. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope, although part of my help seems to be missing so i'll add the other comments here because otherwise it looks like i've not fully helped @Mike72..

No problem. Although the link i sent has ESA contained in it, the health assessment advisory service are the company the do work capability assessments for ESA and UC because they are both the same assessments.

When you ring them they won't be able to tell you what the decision is because they don't make decisions. What they will be able to tell you is if the assessment report has been completed and returned to DWP. If it has then you'll know for sure that no face to face assessment is needed and a decision may well have been made.

I just find it very strange if a decision's been made why the letter hasn't been uploaded onto your journal yet. I've know DWP tell people in the past that a decision's been made when infact it hadn't been.

If you are given LCWRA the £336 will be in addition to what you already receive.

edited November 2019
    From @poppy123456 (9:08)

No problem. Although the link i sent has ESA contained in it, the health assessment advisory service are the company the do work capability assessments for ESA and UC because they are both the same assessments.

When you ring them they won't be able to tell you what the decision is because they don't make decisions. What they will be able to tell you is if the assessment report has been completed and returned to DWP. If it has then you'll know for sure that no face to face assessment is needed and a decision may well have been made.

I just find it very strange if a decision's been made why the letter hasn't been uploaded onto your journal yet. I've know DWP tell people in the past that a decision's been made when infact it hadn't been.

If you are given LCWRA the £336 will be in addition to what you already receive.
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    edited November 2019
    From @Mike72 (9:14)

Thanks Poppy. 

So, infact, a decision may not have been made after all? I really do find this whole process astonishingly difficult to comprehend at times. 

0800 169 0310 I will ring that number after 9.30am today for some sort of closure.  

You've been a great help poppy, I am extremely grateful for your time, effort and energy. I've found out more from you than the job center. 

Thank you. 

M. 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    edited November 2019
    From @poppy123456 (9:24)

That's not the correct number to ring, that's the ESA number. The number for the health assessment advisory service is 0800 288 8777. You will need to give your name, NI number etc when you ring.

You're very welcome. Hopefully they will be able to tell you for sure what's happening with the status of your claim.
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Really sorry they didn't all come through! I should have got them all now (posted above).
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    @Chloe_Scope thank you very much for helping here! :)
    No problem at all! :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Hi poppy, 

Poppy, I telephoned the number you supplied for the health assessment advisory service and was told my assessment report was completed and returned on the 30th of September. So for the last 32 days UC have had all the information they require but still failed to make a decision. Infact, a decision still hasn't been made as yet but my face to face appointment with my advisor has now been cancelled. I have also been informed that I will not be payed any money owed to me until THREE full consecutive periods have lapsed so that will make it 2 weeks short of 5 months waiting for assistance, astonishing. The back dated is nice yes but I would rather have had the little extra on a monthly basis instead of having to go cap in hand to the food bank. 
    Hey Poppy, isn't it amazing what can be done for you when you mention the word scope in your journal.

Thanks for all your help

M. 
    Right, 

Does any one have any information on PIP? Again I got the ball rolling with that in the 16th of July 2019. It was actually the CAB that told me I could claim that. UC just do not seem to be forthcoming with any additional information for further assistance. I have very limited knowledge regarding the benefit system so many thanks to the CAB for even making me aware of PIP. 
    Yesterday, after 103 days waiting, I received a text telling me an appointment has been made for me for a assessment on the 20th November 2019. Can someone tell me just exactly what the assessment will entail? Also, what is the length of time allocated for the adjudication? Or does it vary? 

Many thanks. 

M
    There's no timescales for decisions, i'm afraid. It really depends on backlog in your area. Fr the LCWRA extra payment, there's a 3 month waiting period. This means that your LCWRA starts from the 3rd month BUT i'm afraid you won't receive the extra money until the 4th assessment period this is because UC is paid in arrears, not in advance.

Your PIP question, are you saying you have a PIP assessment on 20th November? Sorry but just a little confused because i see in another comment you've also waited 103 days for the UC decision and you say you've waited 103 days for the PIP? Just checking that this is a PIP assessment.

Hi poppy, 

Yes, after being advised by the CAB, I applied for lcwra and PIP from the day of the first  sick note 16/07/19. 103 days, ago on both. I wanted to seek advice on here for lcwra and pip individually to save cinfusion. Perhaps I should have started a new thread. Apologies for the confusion.

M. 
    PIP is not about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. LCW and PIP are different benefits with different criteria.

During the assessment you will need to verify what you wrote in the form. They may also ask you further questions about your conditions and how they affect you against the PIP descriptors. You will need to answer all the questions yourself during the assessment.

You will be watched from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. Take someone with you if you can.

There's no timescales for any decisions, backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. Once you've had the assessment you can ring DWP/PIP and request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Some links that maybe useful to read here.

Thanks Poppy,  

What I have done is kept a day to day diary of how my condition effects me. My memory isn't what it should be and that's my condition combined with medication. 
    My worry is that I won't be able to explain myself clearly enough. I have approached the CAB to ask if someone could accompany me to my assessment but unfortunately that is not part of the service they offer. I have very few friends and no family for support. Is there someone I could ask to accompany me on the day? 

I will check those links for further information.

Many thanks. 

M. 
    No problem,

Did you send other evidence with the form to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for evidence.

Advice centres very rarely attend assessments with claimants because they don't have the funding to do this, unfortunately. It's not vital that you have someone with you because you will have to answer all the questions. It's just it can help with any anxiety you experience on the day.
    Hi, 

I supplied my doctors name & address on the claim form and following a appointment with my doctor he told me that PIP had been in touch regarding my condition and he advised me that he had filled the forms out and sent them off. I do have a condition that effects and dictates my travel radius. I have to plan any journey well in advance to schedule for toilet breaks.
    I'm actually very nervous thinking about this and it is causing anxiety and stress. 

Poppy, how long do the assessment team take to reach a decision? I'm presuming it varies from person to person and there isn't a set time scale? 

Thanks. 

M. 
    Did you send evidence yourself as well? The reason i ask this is because a GP isnt the best person to rely on for evidence because they very rarely know how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. They will only ever know the basics, like what appointments you have, medication you take, if any and a diagnosis.

The health assessment providers don't make any decisions, they write reports with recommendations in them. DWP decision makers make the decisions but there's no timescales. It's really like saying "how long is a piece of string"

Your face to face assessment could be anything from 20 minutes to 1.5 hours, sometimes longer, just so you're prepared for that.

I totally understand just how stressful this is having been through it all myself many times in the past for PIP and the work capability assessment assessment. It never gets any easier.
    Hi, 

I do not know what other evidence to supply other than the names and addresses of the medical professionals concerned with my wellbeing and a list of my medication combined with the completed
    application.

1.5 hours, potentially longer? Thanks for that Poppy! I was nervous before but it's beyond that now. 

Poppy, I was under the impression that you worked for scope? It really is valuable advice especially coming from someone who has been through the process before. 

Really grateful. 

M. 
    I'm so sorry i added to your worries and made you more nervous. I always think it's better to be honest when advising people, rather than holding back information from people. When i attend appointments, if they last longer than i expect i sit there stressing because all i want to do is leave. I always prefer to have some idea of what to expect and then i can try to deal with it the best way i know how.

I don't work for scope. I'm a community champion on here and i volunteer my time to others giving my advice based on my own experiences and the research i've done myself over the years, regarding the benefit system. I'm always happen to advise anyone and help anyway i can :)

As for evidence, have you had any appointments in the past with Consultants? or anything like that? When i've had appointments in the past  after the appointment has take place my GP is sent a letter and i receive the exact same letter. I keep all those letters in a file so i have them to hand when it comes to my PIP and ESA reviews. I do the same for my daughters PIP claim. I have a folder for each of us. You were lucky that they contacted your GP because they rarely do this. The onus is on you to make sure evidence is sent to support your claim. If you do have some evidence to hand to send or even take with you to your assessment then i'd advise you to do this.

Thanks for that.

I have had appointments scheduled in the past but I have not kept/saved the correspondence. At the time I wasn't even aware of PIP or that I could even apply until I approached the CAB myself. I did supply the names of medical professionals who were working with me and all subsequent correspondence was just to inform me of appointments that had been made on my behalf from my GP.  After reading through a few webpages (links you supplied) it is not neccassary to bring appointment letters along with you to the assessment? I  wish I was made aware that this correspondence could/would assist my application.

I am actually debating in my mind weather or not to attend the PIP assesment now. The thought of being under such scrutiny for over 1.5 hours fills me with dread even though that financial assistance could help finance someone to prepare and cook meals for me and transport to the supermarket. I currently shop at my local shop, when I do venture out and this is extremely costly. The supermarket is a fair distance from my home and I jut can't walk it any longer. There is also no toilet on the way.

M. 
Sign in or join us to comment.