Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Difficulties with disability benefits

SystemSystem Posts: 476 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Our Community Guidelines and How To Guide.

Replies

• MeggboxRo98MeggboxRo98 Member Posts: 2 Connected
    Hi Everyone! My name is Megan and this is my first time on the group chat! I'm a 21 year old student living with CP.. I'm currently writing a feature article for my Journalism course, based on the difficulties that the disability benefits assessment process throws up for genuinely disabled people. For example, have any of you had to paint a really bad picture of your conditions, just to get the simplest of things done to your house? ( All replies will go no further than my University lecturer.) All replies will be dealt with in confidence and remain anonymous.
  • paffuto10paffuto10 Member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @Maimarsh

Hello, sorry for your loss. It must have been and still is, extremely difficult for you. 

Welcome to this friendly supportive forum. I'm still quite new myself. Have a good look around and join in whenever you feel ready. Or you could start a discussion yourself. 

Take care x
  • paffuto10paffuto10 Member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @MeggboxRo98

Hello and welcome. 

I was lucky with home adaptations, had a really good OT who obtained everything I needed. 

I do find though, that I do need to exaggerate (or nag about :p) my conditions at GP, hospital, etc otherwise I just get sent home with a pat on the head!! 

I have also noticed changes in attitudes (towards disabled people) in the last 10/20 years. Less understand, empathy and allowances made. A kind of begrudging which wasn't there before. Sad! 

There are still some lovely people about though, especially on here  :)

Good luck with your course. 
  • AilsAils Community champion Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MeggboxRo98 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  Your research sounds interesting and I wish you well with it.  I know what you mean about having to exaggerate things slightly and have had to do this in the past also or I wouldn't get anywhere with doctors and hospitals.  I too have a really good O.T. so getting hope adaptations has never been a problem luckily.  I hope you get lots of our members who can help you with your research.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MeggboxRo98

Good Afternoon it's great to meet you today 🌝 🌝 🌝

I am one of the Community Champions here at Scope. 

Yes I would be very happy in helping you with thing's. 

We definitely have to exaggerate otherwise we wouldn't get anything at all.

There is our own sections on here which would be very useful.

Please please let me know if you need any further help. 

@steve51
  • saffeysaffey Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thankyou for advice I will contact you if I need more advice
  • MeggboxRo98MeggboxRo98 Member Posts: 2 Connected
    Hi guys! Thanks for all your comments- these comments will be really helpful! Would a few of you mind giving me your actual names? These will be used in CONFIDENCE and purely for this assignment 
  • AilsAils Community champion Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @saffey and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
Sign in or join us to comment.