Diverticular disease. Does anyone else struggle with cramps, diarrhoea, constipation or pain? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Diverticular disease. Does anyone else struggle with cramps, diarrhoea, constipation or pain?

Madeline1
Madeline1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I saw a post on here about the diverticular disease. i have been diagnosed with this in 2004 and again in 2007. I have a many bouts of cramps diarrhoea and constipation and left-sided pain in the bowel. I have been admitted to the hospital for iv drip of antibiotics and fluids a few years after diagnosis. 
this condition is so unpredictable and embarrassing, I have belching and flatulence most of the time. I work but when the pain is severe I cant sit or lay down, sleeping is difficult.

i just wanted to see if other people with this condition have the same troubles
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Madeline1 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read of the problems you have with diverticular disease, & whilst I don't have, it hopefully you'll come across others here that suffer with this.
    I found some information about it, so if you haven't come across this, the following may be helpful: https://gutscharity.org.uk/advice-and-information/conditions/diverticular-disease/
    Please do have a look around the forum & join in with the discussions. There's a link on the right of this page to 'All groups,' which may be a good starting point.

• Madeline1
    Madeline1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks Mike, I will try reducing and then maybe removing these. I usually get prescribed amoxiclav antibiotics but the last few times they made my kidney hurt (i suspected that). I was reluctantly given ciprofloxacin and metronidazole, they have managed to stop the pain and I had buscopan for cramps. I definitely need a new diet for sure
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A very warm welcome to the community @Madeline1
    Scope

• MobileGames
    MobileGames Community member Posts: 123 Pioneering
    @Madeline1 Welcome. Two of my relatives have it. They have to avoid fatty,spicy,chocolatey and any foods with pips,skins and seeds in. They drink plenty of water and have a high fibre diet to bulk the stools up. One alternates between diarrhea and constipation. When they have diarrhea they drink more water and eat blander foods,mash,scrambled eggs,toast,lean meat,boiled fish,fresh vegetables and they don't eat a few hours before bedtime. They have breakfast,lunch and dinner. When they are constipated,one has Cosmocol. The other has less frequent bouts,but when they have a bout they need antibiotics pronto to avoid a hospital visit. They get the diarreah side so have to watch what they eat. They try to avoid stress,drink plenty of water and stay away from trigger foods. Gluten can cause flatulence and bloating. Fibre is different to gluten. Gluten is found in wheat. Fibre is not just in wholewheat foods like cereals,pasta and brown bread,but also in vegetables,fruit,which are gluten free. Wheat is mainly in cereals,bread,pasta,biscuits,breadcrumbs. So mash,skinless vegetables,say carrots without the skin,cabbage,cauliflower,parsnips without the skin,sweet potato peeled,butternut squash,and lean meats like chicken and fish is okay. Fruits like pears,peaches,nectarines,bananas,melons with pips scrapped out(not watermelon) are okay. 
  • marie3064
    marie3064 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi everyone, I’ve just been diagnosed with diverticulitis. What would you recommend I eat and what to avoid.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    marie3064 said:
    Hi everyone, I’ve just been diagnosed with diverticulitis. What would you recommend I eat and what to avoid.
    Thanks for posting, this is quite an old thread so there may be a chance you won't get as many replies as you would at the time, but hopefully people will be able to offer their insight. Have you spoken with your GP about this to see if they have suggestions?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marie306 & welcome to the community. There aren't any foods you need to avoid, but a high fibre diet + drinking extra water has been found to be helpful. Please scroll down in the following link & you'll see 'Diet' under 'Treatment.'
    https://gutscharity.org.uk/advice-and-information/conditions/diverticular-disease/
  • jasonred
    jasonred Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hey everyone,

I have also suffered from the same for quite some years now and haven't found any "magic"remedy yet... Can you guys can point me in the right direction with a natural product instead of prescription drugs ?

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jasonred

We'd always suggest consulting your GP but I know it can still be difficult getting an appointment. Your pharmacist may be able to help point you in the right direction :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.