UC claimants to get a 1k year increase but legacy esa and JSA PIP claimants get 0 — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

UC claimants to get a 1k year increase but legacy esa and JSA PIP claimants get 0

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,512 Disability Gamechanger
    To be fair they seem to be doing their best.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,729 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    To be fair they seem to be doing their best.

I have to agree with you here. It's a very difficult situation for everyone.
  • tomm
    tomm Member Posts: 284 Pioneering
    No good if you are on a legacy benefit though is it ?,and it's unfair
  • Msbettyboop
    Msbettyboop Member Posts: 25 Courageous
    I'm hoping they mention people on Pip and Esa today or in a future speech, I really hope we are not overlooked.
  • clarkjohnson
    clarkjohnson Member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    It’s simple people on standard uc are getting more money not pip etc and so they should 
  • tomm
    UC Encompasses ESA JSA and PIP legacy benefits WE GET THE SAME RATE or did
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,740 Disability Gamechanger
    UC doesn't encompass PIP.  PIP is completely separate and isn't really relevant for this thread.

ESA should get a similar increase to UC but I suspect they are trying to make the switch to UC look more appealing.
  • Redeemed
    Redeemed Member Posts: 40 Courageous
    The £1k increaase is on the base allowance. Is that for a single person? Do couples get extra?
  • poppy123456
    Redeemed said:
    The £1k increaase is on the base allowance. Is that for a single person? Do couples get extra?
    Nothing has been confirmed yet but it’s a maximum of £1,000 over 12 months.
  • tomm
    UC doesn't encompass PIP.  PIP is completely separate and isn't really relevant for this thread.

ESA should get a similar increase to UC but I suspect they are trying to make the switch to UC look more appealing.

But as they were struggling in migrating claims over before this there would be a much longer wait without anything  than normal now, and i think there is still a bigger percentage still on legacy benefits it encompasses JSA, ESA and income support
  • tomm
    Well i think that a law firm maybe taking the gov to court on this for discrimination because that is what this is, they in their haste  blundered and instead of creating a emergency UC add-on limited time benefit to help those who can't work and WC claimants they made it so all uc claimants get this, and those who naturally migrate via  a C In C  won't get it, but those who choose to migrate will  that is why it's discrimination against legacy ESA JSA  And IS claimants
  • gillian72
    gillian72 Member Posts: 304 Pioneering
    It's more then we  get on esa support group isn't it ???
  • tomm
    They have increased the basic rate of UC  so the £73.10  per week bit which hasn't seen any increase for several years so if you are in the SP on UC you would get £150 + each week an extra £20 per week
  • gillian72
    gillian72 Member Posts: 304 Pioneering
    @tomm , what even if my daughter still lives at home an working???
  • poppy123456
    gillian72 said:
    @tomm , what even if my daughter still lives at home an working???

LCWRA for UC which is the same as the Support Group for ESA pays more than Support Group for ESA, if you work out the figures correctly and this is without the increase in the standard allowance the government announced for Covid19.

Non dependent deductions for the housing element of UC are more generous than housing benefit. Whether or not this will apply to you will totally depend on the age of your daughter. If she's under 21 then you won't have any non dependent deductions for the housing element, when claiming UC.
  • tomm
    edited March 2020
    This is discrimination and need rectifying they OWE use legacy benefit claimant lots of money, when did the difference between the 2 widen so much a few years ago it was a few £££
  • poppy123456
    tomm said:
    This is discrimination and need rectifying they OWE use legacy benefit claimant lots of money, when did the difference between the 2 widen so much a few years ago it was a few £££

No it wasn't. LCWRA for UC has always paid more than Support Group for ESA, unless you're claiming the SDP and then you can't claim UC anyway. Lots of people always thought it's less money but that's not true.
  • tomm
    UC base rate is £79.45 weekly ( £317.82 per month)add  the LCWRA element £84.05 per week (336.20) per month  giving a total of £163.50 per week
    ESA base rate £73.10 per week  SG (LCWRA) element including the EDP = £55.35 per week total of £128.45  per week ( Single person over 25)

So a difference of £35 per week using the 20129/20 rates  so over a moth ESA SG claimant are so £140  worse off than those claiming the Equivalent UC + LCWRA benefit  before this latest increase to UC  discrimination, and we ESA legacy SG claimants owed money you cannot give people different rates of benefit  because of the name of benefits when their circumstances are the same, and they meet the criteria for both benefits , so UC claimants have been over paid or ESA have been under paid

• poppy123456
    I don't make the rules, i just give advice. I'm in the same boat as yourself and i claim ESA but receive the SDP so i'm excluded from claiming UC.

Of course for those that are not happy with the amount of ESA they receive and are in the support group, they can always start a claim for UC and your ESA award will be honoured in UC and you'll receive the LCWRA.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community Guidelines.