Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

“Life should not feel normal”

Hart86Hart86 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
edited April 2020 in Coffee lounge
Not long ago Nicola Sturgeon gave a speech on the lockdown and social distancing and said that “life should not feel normal”.

Hope this isn’t too controversial but I wondered if anyone else is a bit like me, and nothing much has really changed for them personally? 

I was always very socially distanced and with years as an agoraphobic, never got out much anyway 😆

Tagged:

Replies

• 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes before I spent most of my time in my bedroom anyway and only went out with a family member once or twice a day. Boredom was a big thing for me. Now I spend most of my time in my bedroom and only go out with a family member to run errands so it really is mostly business as usual for me.
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 754 Pioneering
    It isn't much different for me either. I usually go into town once a week to go shopping and apart from that only go out to walk the dog generally.
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,257 Disability Gamechanger
    That quote made me chuckle when I first heard it, I don't remember life ever feeling 'normal'! :D 

I've been socially distancing my whole life, so the closure of pubs, clubs and bars didn't affect me, and I'm not missing the occasional family visit either, but it's the total lockdown I'm struggling with.  I generally go out most days now, either for a short walk or drive, partly to get away from my own brain for a bit, partly to keep a solid routine, and partly to give me something short term to aim for.  Not being able to do that over the last week I've found really difficult.  I have been shopping once, and been for a walk twice, but it's already pushed me back in terms of contamination fears.  I was able to walk the block without changing jeans or showering (always wear long sleeve tops outdoors so can just take them off when home) but it's been a full change of clothes, shower and everything in the wash plus sanitizing keys, phone etc just for a 10 minute walk...it's really not worth the hassle, but I'm going mad stuck indoors as well! 
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,998 Disability Gamechanger
    It isn't normal here!

My hubby is the one struggling most with not going out...he only goes out normally, for groceries, medical appointments, to the vet, and to drop and collect me from a social group once a fortnight. But he goes out when he wants to, as long as I have a carer with me.

I am missing going to the cinema, shopping, lunching, and going to 3 social groups with my carers.

I feel as if it is going to continue until autumn at least.

2020 will be the year that didn't happen.

Life is the same or better, for our doggy. She still goes out in the garden as normal....it`s better for her as she doesn't need to fret when we go out.

Pollsx

Sign in or join us to comment.