Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My partner has lost her job. Help with UC!

SystemSystem Posts: 544

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Legacy Benefits & Universal Credit questions.

Replies

• wenglish1984wenglish1984 Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Afternoon everyone just looking for a little further advice if possible please 

My partner had a call from her employer this afternoon to say that they are now terminating her contract due to ill health dismissal 😔 no prior warning and quite unexpected from the previous meetings held

Anyway as it’s now completely unexpected and with 4 children to look after we need to sort everything out financially with benefits etc 

ive just completed a new entitledto benefit check as being on the legacy benefits it’s always been slightly better to stay in legacy yet today the check has come back with universal credit being better off by nearly £5k a year 😳 something we now can’t afford to lose out on 

We just need to confirm that by joining universal credit What effect will it have on everything for us ? Will everything instantly stop like tax credits housing benefits child benefits etc ? What about the new style employment support allowance will that now be effected ? Really worried on if I’m doing the right thing by making the jump across thank you 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Really sorry to hear this @wenglish1984! It must be really scary during this time. How are things at the moment?
    Scope

• thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @wenglish1984   Pleased to meet you.
    Sorry to hear this.

Please have a look at these links lots of welfare and benefit advice.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk

Money Advice Service

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk

Helpline 0800 138 7777

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Please if we can help further please ask you part of our community.

You mentioned your partner ill is there any we can advise on there, any relevant organisations and charities.

Please ask need any thing ask any questions.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,997

Scope community team

Hi @wenglish1984. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's job.

With regards to benefits, that does seem like quite an increase if you switched. Universal Credit has been given a £20 a week boost due to Covid-19 and this only lasts a year. I'd double check your calculations if possible just to ensure they are accurate before you switch.

If you do decide to apply for UC, once you've submitted your claim, any child tax or working tax credits should stop immediately. So will any Income Support or other income-related benefits. 

Housing benefit is the exception and there is a 2 week run-on after you submit your UC claim. 

Child Benefit, DLA, PIP, Carer's Allowance, New-Style ESA and New-Style JSA all continue to be paid separately and the latter three are then deducted pound-for-pound out of Universal Credit.

I hope that's enough information but if you do have any other queries, please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • wenglish1984wenglish1984 Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Good evening everyone and thanks for all your messages of support it’s gratefully received, unfortunately we decided against universal credit and have stuck with the legacy benefits, we have managed to get a 4 week run on with working tax credits which is a huge help financially

Thank you all
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,997

Scope community team

Thanks for updating us @wenglish1984. It's important to do what you feel is right for you and your family. Great news about the run-on and best of luck for the future. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.