PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Multiple username obsession

tru88letru88le Member - under moderation Posts: 94 Courageous
Why are the community champions obsessed with posters using different usernames?
If you say anything remotely similar you are accused of being one of multiple people.
Maybe they lost their details and being unable to use the same one became someone else...

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,994 Disability Gamechanger
    I have yet to see such obsessions tbh, on another forum I use its certainly an obsession, I use a browser that keeps my usernames and passwords for me much easier when you gave dozens of them.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • April2018momApril2018mom Member - under moderation Posts: 2,882 Member - under moderation
    I do not think that it is a problem however. This is not the kind of forum that is at high risk of that kind of thing happening often. In my two years here I have actually never witnessed it. 
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 694 Pioneering
    @tru88le I've only known it happen on here once and it was quite obvious by the way he wrote that he was someone who had previously posted under another username.  I think it's unfair to say the community champions are obsessed.  All they want is a safe and helpful forum. When you are on the receiving end of these trolls it's no fun believe me. Even when their comments are not directed at you it can be very upsetting for others to read. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,392 Disability Gamechanger
    I can safely say that in 4 years I’ve seen it happen 4 times. One poster with 4 IDs stands out. I’ve no idea whether the many reports to the mods from different people did anything but the person in question made some very poor decisions in terms of turning up in one of the few other forums I post or view and revealing enough to make the connection explicit as well as popping up in a work social media timeline and making a similar mistake. Generally people with multiple IDs are not quite bright enough to understand the many ways that can be tracked and uncovered.

I too would not say there is an obsession but certainly a reasonable concern. 

Said poster could be ignored but kept reappearing in response guises with posts near identical in personal details and style. However, the biggest issue was the repeated refutation of helpful posts with negative stories from personal experience to an extent that was exhausting to read let alone refute. 

I’ve also been on the end of multiple posters taking their bats home because they dint like accurate advice which wasn’t what they wanted to hear. They then appear in another guise and their very first post comes straight to a thread I’m on and launches a personal attack. One poster resurrected a thread from 18 months earlier within 3 weeks of having their account deleted. That could only be done by knowing who you’re looking for and doing a search for their posts. 
  • tru88letru88le Member - under moderation Posts: 94 Courageous
    Cressida said:
    @tru88le I've only known it happen on here once and it was quite obvious by the way he wrote that he was someone who had previously posted under another username.  I think it's unfair to say the community champions are obsessed.  All they want is a safe and helpful forum. When you are on the receiving end of these trolls it's no fun believe me. Even when their comments are not directed at you it can be very upsetting for others to read. 
    I see your point. I find some of the community champs to be amongst the trolls sometimes, more interested in post counts and quite abrasive towards pointing out errors people make.
  • tru88letru88le Member - under moderation Posts: 94 Courageous
    edited May 2020
    I can safely say that in 4 years I’ve seen it happen 4 times. One poster with 4 IDs stands out. I’ve no idea whether the many reports to the mods from different people did anything but the person in question made some very poor decisions in terms of turning up in one of the few other forums I post or view and revealing enough to make the connection explicit as well as popping up in a work social media timeline and making a similar mistake. Generally people with multiple IDs are not quite bright enough to understand the many ways that can be tracked and uncovered.

I too would not say there is an obsession but certainly a reasonable concern. 

Said poster could be ignored but kept reappearing in response guises with posts near identical in personal details and style. However, the biggest issue was the repeated refutation of helpful posts with negative stories from personal experience to an extent that was exhausting to read let alone refute. 

I’ve also been on the end of multiple posters taking their bats home because they dint like accurate advice which wasn’t what they wanted to hear. They then appear in another guise and their very first post comes straight to a thread I’m on and launches a personal attack. One poster resurrected a thread from 18 months earlier within 3 weeks of having their account deleted. That could only be done by knowing who you’re looking for and doing a search for their posts. 
    Ressurecting a thead after 18 months is no proof of anything i just dont believe ths four occasions you saw this were all one poster. 
    It could easily be a new poster who didnt like what you said....
    As for people not liking what community champs say  as you say about refutation if someone disagrees and attempts to say why snd you cant be bothered to read their reasons its hardly fair to criticise them for justifying their reasons. 
    Your very much a community champion champion but your grounds for these conclusions dont add up to much really .
    I mean someone attacks you and its the same person who did it before 4 times.?

People want positive supportive accurate advice not just a dose of accurate facts that just blame them for things but offer nothing to go forward with. Who would want that? They obviously know all that .and want help going forward not back..
    Such as suggesting a warning should have been heeded and an appeal abandoned.  Who would want to hear that when its clearly ill thought out.

This discussion has been closed.