Help: open claim for Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Help: open claim for Universal Credit

System Posts: 738 Scope online community team
edited June 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
This discussion was created from comments split from: Lcwra backdated pay.


  • cthorpe93
    cthorpe93 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi. I hope someone can help me. I I have an open claim for Universal Credit and on 13/05/2020 I received a letter in my online journal to say that they have decided I have limited capability for work and work-related activity. I first handed in my fit for work note on 07/02/2020 but this was back dated to 11/12/2019 which was when I left employment due to poor health. My health condition has improved and I notified Universal Credit many times that I am looking to return to work, which I did on 06/04/2020. With this in mind, would you think I would be due any back dated pay? I have contacted my work coach via my journal and he said that it is with a decision maker and as stated in the letter I should hear back "within 7 working days". Thanks in advance.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,596 Scope online community team
    Hello @cthorpe93. You can actually have LCWRA and work, so long as the work you do doesn't contradict the reason for claiming. Have you declared yourself fit for work?
    With regards to backdate, sadly the backdated fit note is irrelevant in this matter. The wait period begins when you first submit evidence to UC which you've said was 7/2/2020. 
    Payment for LCWRA would begin 3 full assessment periods after this date. Depending on your assessment periods, this would (At earliest)  bring you to around now to start receiving LCWRA payments so there'd be no backdating, only future payments.

    However, if you've declared yourself fit for work, then it's possible you won't receive any payment for LCWRA at all. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.